Another pink something from 1991

yo-Nate-y":39ncnc11 said:
The other is a drop bar mtb, fat tires and all. Which reminds me that I need to update some pics....

Ah...should've gone back to look at it, again, before posting.

This one is getting some attention now as it seems to be the month of the Monster.

Tightened up the loose ends and took 'er for a spin. The bike is in great shape. The only marks are on the right rear seat stay...and sadly, not just paint but a small set of dents. And there's no Somerville sticker. Alas.

The fit is better than my last one (that'll show me to stick with little bikes all these years). The original Gel Turbo was in need of reglueing (done now) so I fitted another. The bars are phenomenally wide and swept. Super cool.

I feel like this Monster is going to get mildly retro-modded. V-brakes, even! :twisted:

The plan:
silver Ritchey post and red Turbo (done already)
swap the XC LTD stuff for XC Pro (or maybe XT/XTR mix--still on the fence)
XTR v-brakes and levers with red KoolStop pads
Cook Bros cranks with the same Suntour rings ... maybe silver Turbines
Ringle Ti Stix in silver
late 80s XC Compe pedals....maybe pro
silver King headset and Rody's Ho Down fork
still thinking about stem options....I like ATAC's and Salsa...sadly I only have them in 1 1/8th ... might try a shim

.....in any case, more to come!

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3810-1.jpg

IMG_3804-1.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3806-1.jpg

Monster1-1.jpg

I like the XC limited components on this bike; suits it.

Gaz, there's a guy in Cali who contacted me with a matte grey Monster, same configuration as this one, though I think he has since placed it on ebay.

clockworkgazz":il0pq34w said:
......you look like you have just come from the blue oyster bar ;)

If anything, the work I did tonight is making that case a little more strongly.

...silver King, Ho Down, silver Ritchey post, red Turbo, grey XTR v's, and some other business fitted. Not quite sure on the Thomson that is place-holding now, but it fits with the squarish profile of the Ho Down.

clockworkgazz":3h2psqjf said:
Love that and just my size, pm me when you realize you look like you have just come from the blue oyster bar ;)

"Da, da, da, da, da-da..."

I love this bike. I wish it were my size (for some reason)

Back