Street tyres.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My crazy bobs are good but heavy i guess and getting a bit worn now. Looking to get some new ones at some point but im really not sure which. Always wanted hookworms but therye heavier!!
Fairly big volume though and low pressures.
Options i have found;

Schwalbe super moto
Timo pritzel table tops
Holy rollers
Hookworms
Kenda kiniption
Halo twin rails
Maxxis larsen tt
Kenda small block 8's
Intense micro knobblies
KHE mac 2
Nokian xxx
Kenda k-rad
DMR moto

Looking for opinions and personal reviews please.
Bear in mind these will be going on my commuter/urban assault vehicle. I like em big. My commute can often include stair sets and jumps (but no dirt or off road on them). Can sometimes be wet of course. I run low pressure (30psi or so). I corner hard.

Was running tioga fs100's before which were good for the weight but often had punctures and scarily nearly slid them out a few times!

Maybe I was unlucky but I found Super Moto's puncture heavy. Now running Big Apple which seem far more puncture resistant but too heavy for my liking.

Crazy bobs are 995g i think and hookworms are 1250 or so!

Im guessing most will be an improvement on that.
Would like to save some weight but not hugely important.

Schwalbe City Jet are a good option. They're fairly average tho. Not exceptionally grippy, not too durable either.

With regards to the Schwalbe Big Apples, I used to run both the 2.00 and 2.35 versions, and both were horrid near the limit due to the weak carcass. Even when inflated to the maximum recommended pressure you could feel them moving about during cornering or hard braking. And if you pushed the bike over the limit, they just snapped from grip to slide without any warning.

I switched to Bontrager Hank 26x2.2 full-slicks for my everyday bike a few years ago, and IMO they are much better.
More grip, better feedback, longer tyre life (due to the dual compound) and they lose their grip more gradually if you push the bike too far. I even ride them in the snow. No idea if they're more puncture-proof, but I haven't had a puncture since I started using them.

I've been solely using the Maxxis Holy Roller and can only say good things about them..
Love a fat tyre also and at 2.4 they really give a good rounded appearance with loads of grip surface for full contact on corners. They're also made with the MaxxPro 60a compound which apparently wears well and provide heaps of grip when you need it most! They like to be pumped fairly hard though... I keep mine at around 50psi, much less and they are noticeably flat so like to be kept firm.
Have had no punctures with them yet and have used them on varying terrain. They've faired well on most but don't like too much sloppy mud although they will keep you on you toes making for an interesting ride!
Mine get street use mostly and don't think I could find a more suitable tyre. They roll fast, they're nice and quiet and have enough give to soak up the road so work cool with a rigid front end. Work really well on dusty trails too should you go off track. Work great on the beach too.
I would quess both the K-rad and DMR Moto are very similar if not with a firmer durometer rubber so may last a little longer with continual use. Might try the K-rad next when these finally die although it'll be a while yet.

Highly recommend them ;)

I used WTB Grafitti SF for a while - pretty happy with them, hardly worn. Would sell them if you were after them. Review here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 51crx.aspx

p2201494largerk6.jpg

Go for Larsens. Great tyres. Ran them off road all summer on a number of bikes. Had a horror moment back in October when I pulled my bike out of the van at a very wet and cold Glentress to see that it was still wearing Larsens. I shouldn't have worried as the coped fine. In fact I've left them on a few bikes and they cope well with everything apart from proper mud. They grip well on rocks and roots though which is the main consideration for me.
Not sure on weight (never been bothered tbh), but have been punture free all summer even at low pressures.

Some good points here already. Could you all tell me what sort of sizes they come up like?

For example, my crazy bobs are 2.35 but theyre more like 2.5/2.6

I like the Continental Travel Contact, good puncture resistance and they roll well too. But I like conti tyres.

Back