Damn punctures

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
Way to a friends house, and about 5 miles from house, and with a long uphill section coming up.. in the pitch black of the cycle path by bickleigh... got a puncture. Luckily I had a slime tyre so it sealed partially. Was a 'get you home' moment. Repaired it in the afternoon today, and it went BANG on the way home stranding me at Newnham. No chance of repair was slime everywhere and innerture was screwed. Tyre has holes in in :-(

Had enough, so got a scwabe (Or whatever) MArathon puncture resistant tyre and normal inner tube. Hopefully that's the end of my issues for the front tyre.. as it's the 2nd time that crappy conti Double Fighter tyre has let me down.

These moments are sent to 'try us' :( Odd it was the front. I normally have rear flats

Had a rear puncture last night after 5 minutes of my 15 minute cycle ride home. Had left pump in shed so had to push bike home and a journey that usually takes 15 minutes took 45 :x

2nd time I have had the front tyre 'go'. The front tyre is probably the original and is a double fighter II tyre I believe. I saw a few references to them leading to punctures quite easily, so I don't think it's a particulary good tyre for reliability.

I suspect the new tyre is much heavier than the old one which is a shame, but I really don't want anymore punctures if it can be helped. Halfords prices I paid as well, as I need it for the commute.

swos":1spfmwx6 said:
Had a rear puncture last night after 5 minutes of my 15 minute cycle ride home. Had left pump in shed so had to push bike home and a journey that usually takes 15 minutes took 45 :x

Unfortunately for me, the tyre was coming off the rim :-( Had to carry the bike, that was fun.

Up until a couple of months ago, I hadn't had a puncture for 3 years or so, then I had about a dozen in about a month; Conti Speed King, front...
I went tubeless with the aid of Stans rim tape & jiz. It's the way to go!

jonnugget69":3h9q9rg7 said:
Not withstanding any issues with tyres...Why don't you get a small saddlebag and put a tube and pump in it?

I have patches, a pump and levers in my saddle bag.

Tyre exploded on the way home from friends.. that turned out 'I think' to be me installing the tyre wrong, as it had a long split down the side, implying that I had it pinched accidently.

1st time out for months yesterday and I got a 3 inch nail in tyre...and there was bugger all sealant left in tyre. Lucy I had a tube and levers and pump

There is alot of rubbish on the roads at the moment. I don't punctures when I am off roading but on the road bikes is a regular occurance and it always a bit of flint that buries it self in the tyre. These damm things go through gatroskins as well. I am not too sure what tyre stops flints that are determined to get though. The price I pay for living in Suffolk.

Back