1st series Merlin Newsboy

Im sorry - Im a stick in the mud here and will get flamed for it Im sure...

Im not a fan of these - I cant see the point of them! Is it a mountain bike? Is it a race frame? Where does it sit in terms of design and designated, intended use?

Just cant see the point?!!

Nice welds tho I'm sure.

:)

Ahhh - I see. Bike art.

I cant get my head around having a top tube that 'bends up' to make LESS standover height? Duh?

Did anyone see that bike for sale on Singltrackworld with the tubes wrapped around each other like spagetti? That was awfully clever (if it was real) and quite interesting?

Jez, the merlin newsboy is THE classic cult cruiser frame. sure it could be raced, (retrotec team used to use them) but that was never the intention! It was basically merlins "nod" to the 50s & 60s schwinn typhoons & later more famous excelsiors basic frame shape that led in part with the various other "balloon tyre bikes" to the evolution of all mountain bikes that we know today!

the merlin newsboy is the mountain bike world equivalent of neil armstrongs moon boots. love it or hate regardless, get down & bow to it :LOL:

lovely build carsten, I liked it with the cooks stem on as well ;)

Just down to personal taste, we're all individuals with our own particular tastes in bike/frame styles. Most of the time we agree on what looks good but sometimes we don't see eye to eye on a particular thing. It's no big deal and it's one of the things that make us different to each other. It'd be boring if we were all totally of the same opinion eh?

Some of the stuff I've seen makes me think My God! How can he like that! But hey! He likes it and that's all that matters.

I still like it! ;)

stevek":35d8yfge said:
Just down to personal taste, we're all individuals with our own particular tastes in bike/frame styles. Most of the time we agree on what looks good but sometimes we don't see eye to eye on a particular thing. It's no big deal and it's one of the things that make us different to each other. It'd be boring if we were all totally of the same opinion eh?

Some of the stuff I've seen makes me think My God! How can he like that! But hey! He likes it and that's all that matters.

I still like it! ;)

yeh like I said, blondes & brunettes ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back