Pics of my crack

bert uk

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
:eek: following on from my other thread>
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177597

these are two pics of the crack that i found in my 2006 avalanche 2.0 gt frame :x

103_1016.jpg

103_1017.jpg

shame really but hey,squit happens!! :D

cut it up! loads of tools to be made from old frame.

headset crown race fitter

work shop stool

general lever

headset cup remover.

just a few off the top of my heads :D

jamabikes":2yw7nmxs said:
cut it up! loads of tools to be made from old frame.

headset crown race fitter

work shop stool

general lever

headset cup remover.

just a few off the top of my heads :D

good idea! i have seen someone on here made a workstand out of a frame and bike parts and a bought clamp. looked pretty cool

Strange place to get a fail.Not near a weld,nor would you expect those stays to be so stress to propigate a crack like that.Clearly an original ( and quite large) defect. :(

tintin40":p2jw4ebh said:
very sad. looks like some thing was rubbing the frame first

yes, :LOL: that was me :LOL: with sandpaper,at first i thought it was just the paint lifting,so i rubbed it down to paint it and...bow larks!!!disaster. :eek:

You know what, that actually looks like a manufacturing defect, I would suggest that you have nothing to lose by writing a very polite letter and emailing it over to GT to see if they will replace it, or phone them directly. Nothing to lose.

tintin40":2c59yxe2 said:
very sad. looks like some thing was rubbing the frame first

's what I thought too but reading the other thread, it says: oh...a scratch on the chain stay,paint peeling,ah well,rub it down and....disaster!!!

a 3" long crack in the chainstay

quite unusual to have a crack like that - no harm contacting GT but I suspect they won't do anything about it.

shame about the frame - it can be repaired but at what cost?

The cost of repair does not have to too much.But will require painting after.You need to find a TIG welder prepered to give it a go.Should not require any filler wire,just the TIG torch in competent hands.

Back