rBoTM December 2011 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. It's my first ever entry here on RBOTM and i'd like to enter my early 80's Dave Lloyd.

It's complete Campagnolo Nuovo Record throughout.

It has 531 frame tubing with 753 forks. The stem and bars are both Cinelli.

Currently trying to find out more info about the history of the bike and the Dave Lloyd bikes in general.

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

Maasi Prestige

Over the top weight weenie bike. Virtually all of the components have been massaged in one way or another. The hubs have titanium axles. The pedals have been drilled over 100 times each. The chainset has been milled and pantographed, as have the seatpost, brakes, stem, lugs and fork crown. The drop-outs are also personalized. The brake cables use CLB alloy cable housing and lightweight cables (a tad springy to start out but they have stiffened up with more use). Using standard Columbus tubing the bike weighs in at 18 lbs.

BTW, the contour saddle has two dimples for the ischial tuberosities (seat bones) which means that although the saddle is perfectly flat, it does appear to be pointing slightly downward in the nose.

Cirque_whole_bike.jpg

Cirque_chainset.jpg
[/img]

Ik hoop dat de fotos uiteindelijk goed genoeg zijn voor Elev12K

Re: Maasi Prestige

Citoyen du monde":125j0p4n said:
Ik hop dat de fotos uiteindelijk goed genoeg zijn voor Elev12K

Considering a bike that light falls apart already by looking at it I think the pics are of satisfactory quality ;)

Mooie fiets.

Re: Maasi Prestige

Elev12k":2okuau98 said:
Considering a bike that light falls apart already by looking at it I think the pics are of satisfactory quality ;)

Mooie fiets.

For everyday use, I have traded out a number of parts. I have traded the brakes out for some blue anodized Modolo Pro with Modolo Kronos brake levers (so in the end the brakes weigh even less than in the photos and are more durable and less likely to fail). I have also exchanged the bars and stem for a one-pice titanium Passoni handlebar (also a further weight saving.) On the other hand the wheels have become substantially heavier with C-Record century hubs and Galli tubular rims. BTW, the forks have extra-beefy round track blades, so the front end is very stiff.

Hi Citoyen du monde, lovely bike but for someone who is normally quite critical of other peoples previous entries, you seem to have strong views on how a retrobike should look (original or age related components, saddle angles, cable lengths, bar angles etc) so can you explain the fitment of the very modern looking bottle cage on your latest entry?

gordy":2dvtm855 said:
Hi Citoyen du monde, lovely bike but for someone who is normally quite critical of other peoples previous entries, you seem to have strong views on how a retrobike should look (original or age related components, saddle angles, cable lengths, bar angles etc) so can you explain the fitment of the very modern looking bottle cage on your latest entry?

Please have at the bike. Any scrutiny/nit-picking is welcome.

As for the bottle cage, it dates from the 1980's and is made by ALE. Perfectly in keeping with the other components. This was also the model that was favoured by Colnago at the time but the Colnago ones generally had a clover leaf cut-out. They were prohibitively expensive back in the day (at least for my budget). The Super Record chainset is the last generation crank that ran concurrently with the first C-Record ones and doesn't have the central milling. The brake levers with white hoods are also of this same age. The Q/R skewers are alloy Mavic ones from the same period. Nothing on the bike is newer than this period (not even the tubulars!)

Citoyen du monde":3b3ap6u6 said:
gordy":3b3ap6u6 said:
Okay fair point with the bottle cage, does look of a newer era to my eyes, what about the air in the tubulars ;)

Please have at the bike. Any scrutiny/nit-picking is welcome.

As for the bottle cage, it dates from the 1980's and is made by REG. Perfectly in keeping with the other components. This was also the model that was favoured by Colnago at the time but the Colnago ones generally had a clover leaf cut-out. They were prohibitively expensive back in the day (at least for my budget). The Super Record chainset is the last generation crank that ran concurrently with the first C-Record ones and doesn't have the central milling. The brake levers with white hoods are also of this same age. The Q/R skewers are alloy Mavic ones from the same period. Nothing on the bike is newer than this period (not even the tubulars!)

I think the air was already around in the 80s.

The battery in the speedometer however...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back