1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus **New project** Update 10.10.2011

Re: Serial # vs Year

cirrus1":gwd78sgg said:
Hello
New to this forum and thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth.
I have 2 Cirrus frames and one Experience Frame and wanted to know that year they where. I emailed RC the serial # and a fellow named Peter got back to me . He said that the third digit in the serial number is the year of manufacture .
So YA0 is 1990
YA1 is 1991
YA2 is 1992

The problem comes when you talk 'made date aka manufacture' and 'model years'
Models often run from August/Sept-ish. So the range given are just from known and identified frames iirc.
Most talk in Model Years as that is how they where sold.
That often we it's said it's either a 1990 or 1991 as without the month it cannot be tied down, if it's a YA0 for example.
Nice to have something concrete though.
Anyway, start a thread and get some pictures up. Dates are just technicalities ;)

RC ? I assume RM ? as in Rocky Mountain. So you can find info from them. Might be useful :) SilverFish (UK distributor) seem to say they will with good intentions but never end up getting around to it :(

cirrus1":zg8i3ll8 said:
Sorry , RC should have read RM for Rocky Mountain .
Regardless of the year they are a very cool bike!

As Fluffychicken said we need to see your bikes! :cool:

. . . . and any chance you have an early syncros seatpost 27.0mm going spare? :D

bagpipes":2ytrv16o said:
All of those frames have clear anodizing as a frame protector.

Also - Are you certain you need a 27.0 seatpost? I'm positive mine is a 30.6 or something like that. Will double check tonight for you (our time). I'd hate to see you source one out and find it's too small. 27.0 are normally found on the early 90's steel frames. I've been wrong before though.

My Experience doesn't have any lacquer on it - the decals are original and the frame is bare.

Mine came looking very dull with slight oxidisation, and yellow bus around the welds. A bit manky really:

403fddd2.jpg

2 minutes with a light Scotchbrite pad later (not finished nicely yet):

1c249a1d.jpg

Re: Serial # vs Year

cirrus1":2zhd0doo said:
Hello
New to this forum and thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth.
I have 2 Cirrus frames and one Experience Frame and wanted to know that year they where. I emailed RC the serial # and a fellow named Peter got back to me . He said that the third digit in the serial number is the year of manufacture .
So YA0 is 1990
YA1 is 1991
YA2 is 1992

Issue I have with this info is that I have both a YA0 and YA1 Cirrus, both using a 30.4mm seatpost. If YA0 makes it 1990, which is the earliest of Cirrus models, then it should have a 27.0mm seatpost.

Also, with the recent increase of Cirrus/Experience frames here on RB, I have yet to see one with a YA2 serial number.

Hey - you know what? It'd be great to get my Experience and your Cirrus together when they are done - yours the race flavour of the frame, mine the (what was in 1991) the "all-mountain" flavour.

What'd you think? You profile says you are in the North. Which bit?

Rob Atkin":1plhjhef said:
Hey - you know what? It'd be great to get my Experience and your Cirrus together when they are done - yours the race flavour of the frame, mine the (what was in 1991) the "all-mountain" flavour.

Sounds like fun! I can usually be found in Stockport, Manchester, Macclesfield, Sheffield and Leeds. A Sheffield lad at Heart (born'n bred) residing in Stockport these days. Some good routes near both of us.

I'm aiming for February completion - if I get my lazy ass in to gear :D

Mossy":2tzuzumk said:
Rob Atkin":2tzuzumk said:

Sounds like fun! I can usually be found in Stockport, Manchester, Macclesfield, Sheffield and Leeds. A Sheffield lad at Heart (born'n bred) residing in Stockport these days. Some good routes near both of us.

I'm aiming for February completion - if I get my lazy ass in to gear :D

Sounds like a Peak District or Holme Valley meet then. Feb for me too, hopefully. :)

Hey
Heres a couple of pics of one of my Cirrus frames serial #YA1z125.
I asked Peter at RMB in Vancouver B.C. about the Mercedes Benz decals and he said that RMB never issued a bike with these decals . They are very well done , can anyone shed any light on the subject?
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0306.JPG
    DSC_0306.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 921
Back