Quad 303

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi, I have a couple for sale in tidy condition. These are lovely amps, powerful, SC proof and sound great.

If you got this far, you know what you are looking at.

They seem to fetch around £120+ on the bay, so how does £100 sound?

Can post if needed, will be around £15 I expect.

Cheers!
Andy

Andy mate - do you have the 33 and the 303, or just a couple of 303 powers?

Not quite sure from your ad is all...

Cheers,
BB.

I have three 303s and a one 33. The 33 has a faulty input on one channel IIRC, think its the input card.

Anyhow, wasn't looking to sell the 33, but could do. The case had some scratches, so I sprayed it silver lol... not quite so retro now, and ALMOST looks modern-ish.

I used the three 303s with a Tag Av32 for home cinema until I bought the Tag power amp. They were damn good too!

Rats - just bought a bloody RB top and then these pop up...

Quad 33 is only a so-so pre-amp btw, 303 were ok amplifiers, later 34 is better, 606 or 707 beats them all!

Never owned a 405...

Yes, I used to work for Quad and even built some ESL prototypes!

Thread hi-jack over....

*Edit: I still have a prototype AV32R with unique knobs and buttons...

**Edit: I used to work for TAG McLaren Audio too...

606 and 707 are monsters!

The current dumping 405 was never meant to be great, when you look at how the output stage is configured, tis odd and inherently low current design.

Actually the 303 is odd too, but is pretty good.

However, compared to the Meridian 101 and 103Ds I have, they just don't :D

I quite like the Tag gear I have, but only really got it as ended up being way cheaper than the Meridian I was looking at too. Started off with an AV30, which was shocking! Had to take it back.

What did you do there LGF? Quad also?

gump":l5lkdch8 said:
606 and 707 are monsters!

The current dumping 405 was never meant to be great, when you look at how the output stage is configured, tis odd and inherently low current design.

Actually the 303 is odd too, but is pretty good.

However, compared to the Meridian 101 and 103Ds I have, they just don't :D

I quite like the Tag gear I have, but only really got it as ended up being way cheaper than the Meridian I was looking at too. Started off with an AV30, which was shocking! Had to take it back.

What did you do there LGF? Quad also?

I was the 'TAG McLaren Audio Technical Heldesk Adviser' for 4 and a bit years. At Quad, I was an 'acoustic technician' for about a year.

The AV30 was terrible, cant remember the exact problem but multichannel hiss was one of them despite the stereo performance being identical to the AV32R in stereo mode (same chipset). The AV30 reappeared as the Audiolab 8000AV along with the truly brilliant and over looked 700x7.

Meridian were sad to see TMA go as
''... they were our biggest rivals...''
. TMA did what it set out to achieve though, shook up the industry a bit and pissed on a few picnics. Arcam never knew what hit them. Their products and Cyrus AV products were just awful in comparison (it was a well known joke that Cyrus didnt implement bass management!) . Naim's AV offering was just awful.

TMA ruled the roost and took on the Americans for a while too although much of the processing gear was teamed up with Bryston amplification.

The speakers were something else when given enough current but many brands were used. I had the AV192R, 100x5R and two DVD32R, one being a prototype.

*Edit: if memory serves, my AV32R prototype has Burr-Brown DACs as opposed to whateveritwas in the production version (I forget)

legrandefromage":30fuwzux said:
Never owned a 405...

I have a 405.

With a Lecson AC1 Pre-amp...

Linked up to an LP12 with a diamond tipped Ortofon.

It is the best sound I have ever heard [but I would be the first to admit my sonic experiences are not as great as some others on here].

Unfortunately the Lecson is a little 'poorly' at them moment, and I keep spending all my money on here rather than taking it to the drs...

Anyway, free bump for Andy and his noice bits of kit. Wahey!

BB

Hmm, LP 12 noice too!

After my parents LPT at some stage, Rega arm and Audioi Technica Cart. Bit better than my DJ decks lol.

The AV30 went back mainly for me because of the multi channel hiss!! I thought I was hearing things, it was loud!! When I checked the specs it was the rear DACs that were downgraded. Tits.
The AV 32 I have was a TAG ex-demo unit. Had a new screen, case, knobs etc. Was upgraded with 192DACS and few other bits. Not sure how the dealer got it, but think he did a bit of a deal as I was so pissed with the AV30.
I picked up the 100x5 cheap when TAG went to shit. Damn its heavy! Have had it years now, through some Ruark speakers and REL sub. I feel no need to upgrade, despite not having latest DTS/blah blah 7 channel etc.

Need Valins to get his ESLs out again too..

ESL's need active crossovers and a fook great sub. Then they're happy.

I found a Denon 3805 7 channel receiver at the tip which even came with the EL remote. It has all the bells and whistles but just isnt as good as an AV32R at everything. My rear speakers are another tip find - Bose Accousitmass in their original box!

In fact most of my bloody kit is from the tip these days.

My 'old' system for about 6 months was Krell FPB-350M x 2, AV192R, DVD32R, Wilson Watt Puppies and odds & sods which would have retailed for close on to £70,000! The speakers were £24,999, amps, £13,999 each and the AV192R was the fully specced model with the scaler at about £14,000.

Silly times!

Good work on the LP12 BB. I bet "Bring It All Back" sounds unreal on that setup.

gump":3stu06kc said:
Need Valins to get his ESLs out again too..

Sadly not likely for a while, they need a service + I don't have room at the mo. Currently in storage, almost got crushed by several hundred MBUKs and MBAs when a set of shelves collapsed the other week. One day I will have the Garrard 401 / SME 3009, Quad 33/303 and Quad ESL setup in action again though.

Back