Vista vs XP

XP at home, XP at work I'm happy enough!

Biggest mistake I made recently was "upgrading" to IE7, OK I have a pitiful 576 Kps broadband connection and 512K Ram (but the lap top was free so I ain't complaining too much) but I didn't expect it to be so much slower. Seriously thinking of switching to Mozilla Firefox although that is a bit techie for me!

Who says the Luddites were wrong.

Firefox is not (yet) exactly a model of memory efficiency either, unfortunately (I don't use anything else, but I've got plenty of RAM.)

If you're short of memory but want a fully-featured browser, give Opera a try. It's quite usable even on my Toughbook, and that's saying something :)

Lets drag this one up.

Just picked up a newish laptop. It's a core 2 duo 2 ghz with 2gb of ram. Have the choice of building with xp or vista business. Despite being happy enough with XP should I go with vista?

John":3huy5l3l said:
Lets drag this one up.

Just picked up a newish laptop. It's a core 2 duo 2 ghz with 2gb of ram. Have the choice of building with xp or vista business. Despite being happy enough with XP should I go with vista?

personally I'd stick with XP chap (and I do this for a living) ;)

Just my penny's worth.

John":2tvsxxcl said:
Lets drag this one up.

XP the one as vista is already being talked about being replaced next year as the uptake isnt as great as they had hoped for, they had plans for another one after vista anyhow for 2010/2011 but brought the dates forward, they did a similar thing with windows millenium and windows 2000 out for 12-18 months before they scraped and brought XP.

i'm running 2gb of ram on my laptop now, which has made vista run a bit better, unfortunately the graphics card does not have a driver for xp so i cant up/downgrade to xp,

however i get a really really annoying problem, every time i right click on a file in windows explorer it crashes, i have tried a registry thing from microsoft but that only worked for a bit, is this a virus? ive scanned but found nothing

amt27":1r91v86m said:
I've got 87 processes, low CPU usage, but physical memory is at 60+% usage

I've got 13 processes and about 25 services, 2Gb of RAM and Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it runs as fast as XP ever did. I've not had one problem with it, apart from not being able to permanently disable Task Scheduler. :evil: :evil:

I've XP SP2 on my laptop and my daughter's got Vista on her new laptop. I guess XP's better as she does most of her schoolwork on mine :?
The same goes for my nephew who's got a new laptop with Vista on it but had to swap it for his sister's as the uni he goes to isn't geared up for Vista :evil:
Back to the point, XP for me.................

Back