New to the forum

bert uk

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
hi there,names tony and im 51,had a few bikes in the past,a raleigh chopper in 1972,cost?£32!!haha!

first mtb was a gt outpost,i liked that one,small frame too and bright orange,next one was a bonded alloy framed v brake bike ,i think the frame came from japan and all the cables went through the frame.next one was a giant fs in 2004,heavy but ok,

most recent one was a xocet ballistic framed bike,was fine but the swingarm wore away after 7 years use so i put it on ebay,got £10 for it :eek: :cry:

anyway,all this leads me to my most recent projects,i got given a 2006 gt avalanche frame by a mate,so i thought i'd put all the bits from the x-ocet onto it,ahhh,disc only gt,hmmm,spend some money,headset...spend 45 on a unique fitting 50mm od one,ugh!bottom bracket shot,new one £12,not bad,got a set of reasonable disc wheels off ebay for £70,inc.discs,rithcey rims,xt hubs,sweet,seat post fitted so no ££!chainset swapped with no hassle.

the forks,01 bombers,and handlebars and stem fitted straight on,along with my xt shifters and levers,

won a set of avid bb7's for £42,and seeing as they had discs with the set which are bigger than the ones on the wheels i thought i'd take the old ones off,and ,when they come,bolt them straight on,

out comes the bike out of the shed and,upside down,and....oh...a scratch on the chain stay,paint peeling,ah well,rub it down and....disaster!!!

a 3" long crack in the chainstay :eek:

so,thats the end of that build,an un economic repair i guess,and,seeing as i was given it,into the skip it'll go.

right,unpeturbed i turn once again to ebay, :shock: :LOL:

bought a marin mount vision 2006 frame with fox rp3 shock for £150,with a headset!!

thats the story so far..ill post pics when its complete,i hope :?

one day i might actually make something to ride :x

cheers. :D

thanks tintin,

heres what the build looked like,until i found the crack that is. :cry: :?

103_0984.jpg

well i guess so mate,but ive heard after the repair its not as strong?and also is it economically viable to repair? :?

bert uk":elettvim said:
well i guess so mate,but ive heard after the repair its not as strong?and also is it economically viable to repair? :?

depends on how much you love your GT? Repairs do tend to be weaker

well,as mentioned,i was given it so there's no loss except time,but i wouldnt want to throw it if its any good to someone. :D

Back