Modern bike with retro bits..

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So even though I'm a sucker for RBs and hang around this site like an addict round a crack-house I mainly ride modern bikes.. and 'the wife' pretty much only rides modern bikes.

I bought these Wildgrippers off the bay the other day without any real plans for them. When they appeared in the flesh Amy liked 'em and I thought they'd look pretty rad on her 'Dale, so I took the opportunity to retro-up her bike a bit (and score brownie points).

Soooo.. here they are.

DSC_62601.jpg

Now I can't decide if they look :cool: , or :LOL: , or :shock: , or :facepalm:

I'm definitely leaning t'wards :cool:....but there's something eating away at my brain telling me modern mixed with retro is a sin :twisted:

What's your view?? Modern is modern.. retro is retro.. or hey its cool lets just forget about it and make love not war.

Discuss.

Mix and match is good in my book sir. Done a fair bit of it across bikes. Function rules over form for me.

I like the tyre colour looks nice, as for retro/modern mix, i'm a fan.
Oh and if you want to put some more retro on there, ano purple looks nice on a white frame and forks... Well Mrs Bob says so anyway :D

I don't think I'd want to fit 20th century tyres to a modern bike, or old bike TBH, just cos they look OK...

Probably the worst tyres from bitd. Offered no grip at all. They don't look right on that bike and it will wreck the handling.

Sorry, but that's a backward step.

Dr S":bblgwm8p said:
Probably the worst tyres from bitd. Offered no grip at all. They don't look right on that bike and it will wreck the handling.

The whole 'Wild-slipper' thing is definitely the main concern. Neither of us have previously ridden them and if they're as shocking as their reputation they're coming off (and probably up for sale if anyone's interested ;) )

suburbanreuben":bblgwm8p said:
I don't think I'd want to fit 20th century tyres to a modern bike, or old bike TBH, just cos they look OK...

Personally I don't have a problem with the age of the rubber. I'm not exactly sure how old they are but they seem as solid as a brand new pair of tyres; no cracks or dryness or anything to suggest they're gonna fly off the rim.

Any other mix n' match modern/retro ideas?

chiswickcollectables":1lgbcdye said:
Dr S":1lgbcdye said:

The whole 'Wild-slipper' thing is definitely the main concern. Neither of us have previously ridden them and if they're as shocking as their reputation they're coming off (and probably up for sale if anyone's interested ;) )

suburbanreuben":1lgbcdye said:

Personally I don't have a problem with the age of the rubber. I'm not exactly sure how old they are but they seem as solid as a brand new pair of tyres; no cracks or dryness or anything to suggest they're gonna fly off the rim.

Any other mix n' match modern/retro ideas?
Cracks and deterioration are the least of your problems. Modern rubber compounds are infinitely better than even the best 10 year old formulae. Wildgrippers were bad back then. Even if they're in perfect condition, they're probably best just being ogled/ stroked/ sniffed/ rubbed, or whatever your GF prefers.

Race Face turbine cranks never look out of place. ;)

suburbanreuben":12a8prek said:
Cracks and deterioration are the least of your problems. Modern rubber compounds are infinitely better than even the best 10 year old formulae.

That's interesting to know.. I genuinely didn't think that rubber compounds had advanced so much. I guess it makes sense as many other things have progressed. I've got some of the re-issue Porc 2s Onza were selling recently; anybody know whether or not they updated the compound on those or if they're an exact copy of the originals?

Back