Carver 96'er

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1kvpl37h said:
Is it shy? :LOL: :LOL:

No, not really but for some strange reason the embedded images gave up working and I couldn't be bothered to figure out why.

Here are a couple anyway - just an on-the-cheap build (obviously, I hear you say) with just stuff that works for me but I gave it a bit of a razz around yesterday and all seems good.
For a lot of what I do it's nice to have a smallish bike (16.5" C -T, 22" ETT) - the only problem is a little bit of toe overlap but nothing I can't live with.

Weight is right on 9.25 kgs.

Gearing is 32:20, tyres are tubeless, everything else is just what you see really. If I'm scratching around in the woods I'd be running a saddle height maybe 30mm lower and if it's jumpy stuff about 80mm lower.

Let the abuse begin...... :roll:

PS I'm sorry about the mismatched tyres but I already had a pair of the ones with the red stripes so I used one on here.

Attachments

• Carver-4b.jpg
    Carver-4b.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Carver-1b.jpg
    Carver-1b.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Carver-5b.jpg
    Carver-5b.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,538
I don't see why there should be any abuse, it is a very nice bike and a good solid build. I wouldn't call a hope stem budget at any time :roll: :D

kermitgreenkona88":3afljq0w said:
I don't see why there should be any abuse, it is a very nice bike and a good solid build.

Well, probably because this whole 69'er idea is like Marmite, I suppose - you either like it or hate it ;). That, and the fact that it looks little.
But then I am only 5' 9" and I think a lot of people ride frames that are bigger than they need. My Hummingbird's only 17" C-T (but it is an inch longer).
Obviously I like it (the whole 69'er thing) because I have two (this Carver and my Singular Hummingbird).

Componentry is pretty much as follows -

Forks - Salsa Cromoto Grande
Wheels - Hope Pro 2 hubs (rear SS/trials), Sun Ringle EQ 27 rims, DT 2.0/1.8mm DB spokes.
Brakes - Magura Marta SL with 160mm rotors
Cranks - Shimano M760 (I think)...with Shimano BB.
Chainring - Salsa 32T
Sprocket - Chris King 20T
Chain - KMC Z610-HX.
Headset - Cane Creek S8
Stem - Hope 90mm
Bars - Easton Monkeylite 660mm
Seatpost - FSA FR280
Saddle - SDG Ti Fly
Seat clamp - Superstar.
Tyres - Nobby Nic (tubeless) 2.35" F and 2.25" R.

I think that's about it.....

neebsta":2ywova1r said:
How do you rate the nobby nics Andy. Considering an El Mariachi now I'm Salsa less :cry:

That's because you keep selling them......... :roll:

I currently have NN's on a couple of my bikes (I did have them on all of them but I have Trailrakers on my'88 Explosif now).
I like the fact that for a largish volume tyre they're still a reasonable weight, don't feel excessively draggy and work well enough for most of the year - ok. they're not a real mud tyre (like a Mud-X or Trailrakers) but around here they do a good enough job as we don't have much clay mud, more peaty stuff which isn't nearly as claggy. Not too bad on wet roots and slate but not as good as something really sticky like a 42a High Roller.
Having said that, wet roots and slate are always sketchy whatever the tyre.

The tubeless ready versions are a piece of p*ss to fit and inflate with only a track pump and work well at low pressures (20-25psi). Having said that, a mate I go out riding with reckons that I run stupidly low pressures - he's probably 20lbs heavier than me though, so that makes a big difference.

I'm stream lining :LOL: I've gone from 5/6 bikes to one fully built and one in parts in the last 2 months. I feel very cleansed :cool: I'm now getting one that I can run single speed or geared, with a fairly quick swap around! Having recently painted the garage floor I felt it ridiculous the amount of bike paraphernalia I had gathered over the years for intended use or projects! :D

Back