Why baggy shorts?

Simple.
1, Lycra is a road bike thing. I ride trails.

2, you have a handy pocket for wer Broon and wer tabs (Geordie speak, search 'Geordie Jumpers' on Youtube for example).

3, Nothing worse than a 40 something bloke strutting around the pub mid-ride in faded flouro Lycra.

4, baggies fare better in a crash- you can get away with tearing, whereas with Lycra fleshy parts are liberated from their prison and pop out.

5, Lycra is quite gay.

6, its too sodding cold up north where all the best riding is to be had- small willy syndrome and likelyhood of being beaten up in pub after (see point 3 above).

7, its just shite.

8, And finally, if you cast your minds back to 1990, Shaun Ryder told us 'It's gotta beee a loooose fit' without exception. And he knows his onions. Nuff said.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Si

let me demonstrate
lycra roadies vs baggy mtbers
note the restrained eloquence of the dirt bikers , compare that with the
sheepish nonceyness of the roadie

fashion nae i say tis style

Attachments

• roadie lycra.jpg
    roadie lycra.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 807
  • macretrocrew.jpg
    macretrocrew.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 807
What exactly is a 'baggie' by the way?

Is it a specific type of short or just anything not lycra or speedos. e.g. Jeans, chino's, cambat style trousers and you're footy shorts.

or does it have to be these long short' or over the knee shorts with lycra inside?

as I honestly do not know. The term was knew to me when I came to this site.

I just used either lycra, or shorts/trousers over my lycra BitD when cycling for any distance. lycra had the padding it in.

Baggies to me are generally mtb branded shorts, as you say just below the knee but could include just above the knee.

No need for a decision when you can have the best of both worlds.
Like Mike. I wanna be like Mike.... :LOL: :LOL:
Jordan_by_Lipofsky_16577.jpg

Like all clothing - it's smoke and mirrors - and about the signal you want to give others.

Baggies on a road bike, when the very essence of the activity is to go fast - just says you are taking your appearance more seriously than your training. And that you should probably be on a tourer or a fixie instead.

Inversely

Lycra on an MTB, where gravity and having fun are more intrinsic elements of the hobby, just tells people that you might have missed the point. That said - it's also to do with culture. Getting a Dane to ride in baggy shorts is more of an uphill battle than with a Brit as taking your sport "seriously" is more de rigeur.

I wear Lycras under my baggies

Comfort (padded ass) underneath (hidden shame as well ;) )

Style and pockets on the outside

WINNER ;) ;) ;)

G

Enid_Puceflange":6mc74hse said:
I wear Lycras under my baggies

Comfort (padded ass) underneath (hidden shame as well ;) )

Style and pockets on the outside

WINNER ;) ;) ;)

G

+1 as well

Ernie ;)

Ah, so now we have some admiting to "cross dressing" under other clothes.
Me too :oops:
Who else has to wear a sports bra?.

Back