Help pls! Need a frame ID or rough date

My first thoughts were flying scot, but not with those lugs, some scot's had nurvex pro lugs which are not the same as those, Mercian is what I've gone for as a guess.
Guess on the date is mid to late 50's to mid 60's.
Much the same as the others above once I read them.

Great lugwork, I like it!

Even though it has track ends it would appear that it has been used with a rear mech looking at the groove worn into the underneath of the BB shell. Must have been used like it for some time for that to have happened.

It deserves a really classy repaint with either contrast colour headtube or fine lug lining to pick out the lovely details.

Old Ned":267sntgy said:

Even though it has track ends it would appear that it has been used with a rear mech looking at the groove worn into the underneath of the BB shell. Must have been used like it for some time for that to have happened.

It deserves a really classy repaint with either contrast colour headtube or fine lug lining to pick out the lovely details.

Hi Ned,

I hadn't picked that up at all - great detective work :D

For some reason the frame is telling me it should be "burnt orange", a bit like the 70's Holdsworths. Spoken to a few people about refinishing already, I don't think this is going to be cheap!

As an aside, seeing as this is now going to be a long-term project, could anyone give me a list of suitable period parts that I could keep an eye out for? I'll probably go for modern (but subtle!) 700c rims and hubs and maybe a B17 saddle, but the proper vintage chainset, quill stem, track bars and caliper(s) would look great I think.

oxo":3buwsh1y said:
Old Ned":3buwsh1y said:

Hi Ned,

I hadn't picked that up at all - great detective work :D

For some reason the frame is telling me it should be "burnt orange", a bit like the 70's Holdsworths. Spoken to a few people about refinishing already, I don't think this is going to be cheap!

As an aside, seeing as this is now going to be a long-term project, could anyone give me a list of suitable period parts that I could keep an eye out for? I'll probably go for modern (but subtle!) 700c rims and hubs and maybe a B17 saddle, but the proper vintage chainset, quill stem, track bars and caliper(s) would look great I think.

No, a darkish flamboyant finish in green or red perhaps, with contrasting head tube and seat panel in gloss white, lugs lined in gold.

Keep the fittings in period as much as practically possible too.

Classy!

Old Ned":27yp3ega said:
No, a darkish flamboyant finish in green or red perhaps, with contrasting head tube and seat panel in gloss white, lugs lined in gold.
Classy!

Hmm, British Racing Green with gold-lined lugs- now there's a thought :idea:

Nice looking bit of iron! :) :)

Has anyone else noticed Nitromors is 'not for vehicle paint'... yet Halfords sell it in the vehicle paints and repairs section of their stores? :?

I'm currently at the Nitromors stage with my bike stripdown, just waiting for the motivation to sit outside and finish stripping it.. :roll:

Well, been doing a lot more Web-based research in the last few days (the boss was on holiday :LOL: )

I feel I'm getting warmer now though, especially after finding this Holdsworth on another site, advertised as a "possible" Zephyr model track frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55571832@N ... 871346971/

On close inspection there are a lot of stylistic similarities, although the lugs on my frame lack the "windows" found on this one - but the distinctive seat stay tops and arched rear brake bridge are very similar. Another biggy is the serial number; 23497 - mine is 25437.

Does anyone have measurements for a metal Holdsworth head badge from the early/mid '50s? I reckon measuring between the rivet holes might be the clincher!

Thanks

Paul

Nice work oxo...

If your on for a 50's type build there's a fair few companies you can look at...

Resilion
Airlite
Universal
GB

Check out my Flyer thread... a build from a mix of a few modern bits and some period parts, on a frame of similar age!

Banashapan":2hv5yekw said:
Nice work oxo...

If your on for a 50's type build there's a fair few companies you can look at...

Resilion
Airlite
Universal
GB

Check out my Flyer thread... a build from a mix of a few modern bits and some period parts, on a frame of similar age!

Thanks very much - that gives me a good start. Great bike you've got there, glad you are enjoying it.

Looks like I might have found the exact model too:

Zephyr_close.jpg

oxo":2s5eatie said:
Thanks very much - that gives me a good start. Great bike you've got there, glad you are enjoying it.

Why thank you!

That looks like the one, have you got any ideas how you will build her up?

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :cool:

Back