Crank Brothers Headsets

I have read many mixed reviews, nothing in the region of 'meh, they are ok', only 'they are fine, never had a problem' or 'everything disintegrated into a pile of dust'. :roll:

So, if these aren't that good, what else could I get with such a low stack heigh as this? If there isnt anything available, then it may be back to asking if someone can press out and refit a longer steerer or sell me a bomber crown and steerer!

That said, if you do end up with a dodgy one as long as your stem is tight enough it should be ok to get it home?
And then to send it off for it 5 years warranty?
Its downtime though.

Fsa xlII is said to be 27.5

Cheers for those Cyfa. the stem I have is a 40mm stack Kore effort. Trouble is, with the steerer I have (ahead, 187mm), I have to fit the stem (40mm), headeset (assume 21mm CB offering) and headtube (130mm lava dome).

By My calculations, that leaves me with a 4mm compression gap which is on the cusp of acceptable :shock:, hence the need for a low stack. That Extralight one looks tasty though, but I'm not a huge fan of its graphics. Otherwise its a tidy looking unit.

I have looked at diferrent stems, but most bike retail sites seem relucant to show their stack height, which I find a little infuriating as it goes.

Budget is also a factor. The car needs new shoes and I have christmas shopping and drinks to buy! Couldnt see a price for the Extralight either... :?

I was in similar situation and the only headset available AFAICR was the Crank Bros, can't say I was impressed by it TBH

Yeah stack height isnt often shown on the stems. I do know some though as i was looking myself, fortunately ive ended up with a couple that are around 30mm or so. Dmr swarm stem comes in at 32mm i think, look on pinkbike for one?

Back