can you tell what it is yet?

tangent

Senior Retro Guru
ydclkp.jpg

ydclko.jpg

ydcm7k.jpg

1st ride: the monster saddle bag is carrying all the tools required to keep these retro machines, (and their riders!) rolling.

It's not a Rolf-a-roo, I can see that much.

Nice Fat Ti, glad to see it's no garage queen.

Have you shared two sets of brakes between your Fat Ti and Bonty? Looks like you've XTR V's up front and Onza HO canti or similar on the back on both bikes.

yep the brakesets shared, its proper retro XTR cantis on the back, and the fairly modern matt grey XTR V's up front...works well

Scant, the previous owner of this frame had just got it back from Independent Fabrications having got a crack around the bb repaired.

really? thats where my cracked as well. weirdly not on the weld. started @ right angles to the weld, but headed up along the downtube (along the sleeved portion of the downtube).
I sent mine back to wendyl & got a new 1 :)

looking back was a weird time. raced on the sunday. wasted, didnt clean the bike till the wednesday. saw the crack, went mad, girlfriend came round, blazing row, we split up. I got drunk & trashed my own flat...
(I'm not usually anywhere near that insane!)

What a story!...think mine might have been going that way too as there is a short (<1cm) bit of weld heading up the seatube too at right angles to the weld... (imagine one of the smiley faces with beads of sweat).

Still the IF welding job is highly confidence inspiring, and also the closest I'm likely to get to riding one of their bikes! In view of the repair I was going to use only for fairly mellow rides...but I visited the local woods & some singletracks the following weekend and got a bit carried away.

Latest posts

Back