Detective work - bit of help required.

JC

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Been pointed in this direction after sharing a few beers with Heathy and Simod at Sleepless. Hopefully the wealth of cumulative knowledge on here might be some assistance to me...I've dug out an Old School BMX from Ma & Pa's shed, and have got it running. It's currently being used for the blast to work each day. Give it a few more weeks and the environment will be completely saved.

Anyhow, I'm now trying to figure out what the bike was in it's former life. It's stickered up (badly) as a Haro on the downtube, and Hutch on the headtube. I assume it's not some weird hybrid Trickstar/Pro-Raider.

How do I go about finding out what it is? It's got a serial number, plus a few other distinguishing features. And I reckon it was bought new in about 1982.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
JC

Piccie of aforementioned traffic-dodger. It's a mysterious and powerful device. It's power is exceeded only by the fact that the brakes barely work.
main.php

What I know about it:
Purchased new from Berkshire Cycles in Winnersh, somewhere around 1982-1985.
Original spec that you can see in the photo includes frame, forks, handlebars, seatclamp, Dia-Compe MX two-fingers, gold anodised stem, Victor pedals (555s?), one-piece crank.
Other original kit not pictured: Shimano Tourney gold anodised calipers, black poly rims (Arayas I think, although was told they were Z-Rims, might still have them somewhere)

Most distinguising features about the frame: Gusset beneath downtube and headtube, recessed chain stays, tapered ends of seat and chainstays. Serial number stamped on rear dropout.

I've been through loads of pictures on VintageBMX, trying to find other frames that look similar. There seem to be very few with a gusset under the downtube, the only manufacturers that I noticed that did this is Redline and Procraft.

My guess is that it's a Procraft. Anyone got any thoughts?

all hutch frames have a looptail design, so it's not a hutch.
not sure what it is though.

If you are still around, I'm 99% sure that is a Procraft - it should have 'Ishiwata' stamped on the rear dropouts..

If original rims are plastic they are almost definitley ACS Z-Rims, dont think ARAYA ever made a nylon rim, interesting (and surprisingly good) build for an off-the-peg bike.

BTW Z-Rims should have "Z-Rims" or "ACS" written on them somewhere.

Back