'93 S-Works build thread

Rio

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
yes, my first Retro S-works!! :D

Really thought this needed a respray, but after some de-stickering, removing some tie-wraps and broken sharkfin, doing some 1200 wet sanding, polishing, and waxing it might be fine with some paint touch ups!

There's some rust in the chainstays, but less than I thought, so some chemicals could do the job there.

picture time!

how I got it:

6405478355_08abc15a4c_b.jpg

stuff that came of:

6405480101_9734fb56a9_z.jpg

after some 1200 sanding:

6405476663_83d870cfab_b.jpg

How it looks now:

6405483909_11cfb26a3e_b.jpg

It's too bad you can't see the result of the sanding and polishing that good on the pictures. And the tiny marks are highlighted with the flash, so those look worse on the picture :?
It's quite a transformation, and a good way to spend your saturday afternoon!!

Now I've got a Specialized FS fork for it, a mint Specialized Team stem and 1 Umma Gumma tire.

The plan is to go full XC Pro on this one, but I might build it with SRT 800, Dia Compe, Specialized cranks and some XT 737 I have laying arround first. I have to fix the bracket first, there some damage there so a friend of mine is going to help me with some re-threading and filling the dents with a welding machine (he build his own frame, so should be fine ;) )

Let me know what you think!! :D

This dark red is a nice color. Almost like candy. I had a little fun with some sandpaper myself on my Scott and when i think of it my fingers start hurting again. So i think i'm qualified to say you did a good job so far on the S-Works. :)

thanks guys! This will take a while, but allready looking forward to riding it! Gus, you're allways welcome to come visit and have a go on your old S-works ;)

not sure about the forks though. Will I go for a Specialized FS, Mag 21 or go rigid and search for a Direct Drive?
Eventually I'll have this frame resprayed anyway, so I can have the fork or lowers painted in the colour of the frame :cool:

i agree, keep it as original as possible, they were really simple, uncluttered bikes and look great....the proportions of the dd fork are perfect too....chair pulled up!.... :D

I DD fork it will be!! Anyone got one? :D

Are there any differences in AC lenght on these forks? I know my '96 1 1/8 DD fork has a 410 mm AC length. Are the earlier 1 inch threaded ones the same?

found the matching fork! A '93 DD fork from an 18 inch S-works. Exactly what I need :shock:

6532306945_852a7cbbfe.jpg

it's light weight too, at 685 grams!! :LOL:

Back