GT "Golden Bike" Zaskar

Wow, that's so big of you. Of course it shouldn't be in the pre 1997 section.

As far as constructive discussion - that is where personal opinion is allowed. My view is that this is a bike made by a company who are but a soulless shell of what they used to be. GT have been bought and sold so frequently that the company is nothing more than a name attached to generic, far east made plastic bike. They have gone the way of so many companies such as Syncros, Onza, Nuke-Proof et al in that they are being used by holdings companies to turn a profit in any way they can with no regard for what the company stood for or produced in the past.

My constructive addition to the discussion is that I am a person who loves vintage or retro. This bike falls into neither categories other than having a GT sticker on it. Even that doesn't stop it from being a tacky, gaudy trinket of a bike.

^ tend to agree. i do think in the last year or two GT is getting is core back though. the bikes are looking better and back on track more so.

i still would not buy one as a modern bike however, whereas bitd for me 91 to say 97 or so, it was the ONLY choice for me :LOL:

There's nothing generic about it, the design is distinctly 'GT'. Take the decals off and ask people who made it and most people on this site would probably have a first guess of GT. So generic? Nah.

The bike industry is a big business and has been since Mike Sinyard decided to get the Stumpjumper made in Japan way back in the early 80's. What makes you think that GT was any less driven by profits back in the early '90s?

And yes, like I said, it is gaudy and tacky... its meant to be. Try painting something gold without it looking so.

Doesn't change the fact that that gold XTR groupset and these frames are going to be worth a bloody fortune in a few years.

As far as constructive discussion - that is where personal opinion is allowed

Quite, and this is mine, didn't say yours was wrong, we're just at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Russell":3khl7f25 said:
Doesn't change the fact that that gold XTR groupset and these frames are going to be worth a bloody fortune in a few years.

Hasn't really been borne out by the polished 20th anniversary parts on the Cannondale badboy bike. Special road groupsets attract big money but not so MTB.

The bike is generic in that it is a standard carbon bike with no really unique style features anymore. BMC now produce a carbon triple triangle bike and in the same way as you can by a Pinarello 'replica' from the factory that makes the real thing you can also buy just about any bike frame from the factory through sites like Alibaba. The only difference between the real thing and the 'replica' is in the carbon weave.
Add to that the fact that this is only different to the normal frame in that it is gold in colour (something that is easily replicated) and it will probably only find a happy home with fanatical collectors like GM.

Carbon fibre has meant that frames are cheaper, easier and quicker to mass produce and no longer have the time or artisan workmanship that they used to (be that western or eastern produced frame).

Mass production and holding company ownership basically reduce the bike to a disposable fashion accessory, something that is good for a year and then replaced with the next plastic fantastic. Because of this I can't see any of the modern, mass produced carbon monocoque frames having the longevity of desirability of any traditionally made frame. It will still be the handmade steel, carbon alloy or titanium frames that will hold peoples fascination long after these generic bikes have been recycled into plastic bags

So the fact that a design can be copied makes the original generic and less worthy does it?

You might be able to paint any Zaskar gold, but it will never be 'A Gold Zaskar'. Yeah it'll be the same colour but it won't have the backstory or history.

As for your plastic comments, I'll just remind you (and all the other 'Cant understand new technology guys) that 'plastic' has been specced on MTBs for over 20 years. Talking about it like it was invented last week and is totally untested is just, well... wrong.

Because of this I can't see any of the modern, mass produced carbon monocoque frames having the longevity of desirability of any traditionally made frame.

Not so sure about that, you see I've been around here a while and I remember a Kestrel in BOTM way back when so I googled the thread.

Interestingly you voted for it! You've changed.

Back