GT Zaskar 1997 (Latest pics pg /5/6 27/06/2012)

Cool! Thanks T - hope your build goes well! Can't wait to take my Zaskar on it's maiden voyage.

I was searching CL the past week looking for a bike to buy on the cheap, fix up and resell. This economy is @#$% and I've been looking for options on the side beyond my regular job. Realized this probably wasn't going to be a profitable endeavor (nobody wants an old bike except us select few nostalgic and informed idiots) but I did spot a '97 Zaskar listed for $250. As I negotiated for the bike the owner started to get a bit of cold feet and became a bit of a hesitant seller. Got him down to $200 (swapping non-stock wheelset) with an agreement to resell him the bike if he changed his mind - plus any costs I incurred fixing it up. Reality is I could lose this bike at anytime to the original owner and I'd be totally happy with it if I got a couple months of riding it in first.

Anyways, this bike was a real 'shake, rattle and roll' special. Damn near EVERY bolt was loose. The Judy fork brace was broken and repaired with a piece of a hacksaw blade. There was an extra set of bearings in the headset. One of the bolts on the pedals was stripped. The Judy shock was a mis-assembled mess (Thx to FluffyChicken and NorthernDave for their Judy help). There was some disgusting grunge all over the bike and parts that needed to be scrubbed off.

If this bike was a dog it would be a 'rescue'. If it was a person it would be an 'intervention'. That said, here is the animal in question BEFORE:

6410758441_54088787d6_z.jpg

6410756399_9aa42b637d_z.jpg

...and the funky hacksaw fork brake fix:

6410760489_0e096b68f3_z.jpg

Got it stripped down and decals removed currently. Just got in a new set of decals from eBay, a new KORE stem (major scuffing on old stem), a top cap bolt, new headset bearings, Judy fork brace, Clarks cables, Titec HellBent risers, Ergo grips, KoolsStop blk/salmon inserts and miscellaneous hardware.

15 Dec Update:

Stickered 'er up and put some shiny bits back on...

6515608977_9e30c640d8_z.jpg

Groundoggy":11ngfj1x said:
If this bike was a dog it would be a 'rescue'. If it was a person it would be an 'intervention'. That said, here is the animal in question BEFORE:

hahahahaha, gonna work on mines now : )

Updates : sanded with 2500 yesterday and cause it hasnt rained yet i spent half hour finishing with autosol. Theres a before and after, on wich sunny pictures are from after ;P
Enjoy! Dont know if i should put the decals right before autosol, or if i should wash it first. Do I use any sealer after ?

drystonepaul":124gkap0 said:
Nice work with the sanding.

I've moved this thread to Readers Rides.

hey thanx I wasnt aware that(this) one was the right to post this type of threads.
Well, I was giving my procrastination a chance and decided to put in the decals. It all went well. As usual there's a kitty trying to steal the show lol

well, assembled in some stuff, like brakes and front deraileur, the problem is with the small shimano plastic below the frame where the cables go through or the screw is wrong or i lost it. But it doesnt go all the way..

Looks like a pretty standard water bottle cage bolt holding my little plastic piece to the frame. Check the threads on the hole to see if it is stripped obviously.

Nice job on the polishing and stickers. Looking like brand new! I'm not the only one in the smoking cab either I see. Tsk tsk.

My project has been $10 and $20ing me to death. A couple more goodies yet to arrive and reassembly can begin. :)

yay we both smoke alot at home, so no worries here apart from the 4 euro a pack. Well i have 4 from the water cage and 2 smaller ones that i've tried with no success. Ill wait! I've contacted a store that ordered a mavic crossride rim replacement for my rear wheel (its all bent and dented) 30 euro + 24 for putting spokes and stuff ;o

Borrowed the wheelset from my Pro-Flex 855 for a test ride of my rebuild. The red medium springs in the Judy are too soft for me is my only complaint. Not much of a change from the original purchase for $200 USD. Tore it down and cleaned it up save for the headset and BB.

6542764815_698fb7a8f6_b.jpg

New bars and grips is the most obvious change. Missing bearings in the pedals, NOS stickers from eBay dude, Judy fork was a mess (much thanks to RetroBike Judy gurus esp FluffyChicken), Clark's cables all around, replacement stem & top cap bolt, replacement Judy fork brace, headset bearings (3 bearing rings when I got it - an 'extra' set on the bottom for some reason).

This Zaskar really needed some love. Probably going to text a pic to the former owner and gauge his interest in reacquiring. If not I might give it to a young 'lady in distress on a cheap WalMart bike' I met recently. A bit young for me, but she's a cool chick. Maybe I can get her interested in putting something vintage between her legs.

:LOL:

(and yeah, the rear Conti Cross Country is on backwards - strange I never noticed that riding my Pro-Flex)

Back