How p*ssed off would you be if Colourtech.....

This really all happened over a simple loose rivnut replacement? I've done those as 15 minute walk-ins before!

There is always a little metal left in the frame after removing a loose boss, but it can usually be shaken out of one end of the tube, spraying crap into the tube to secure it is not a smart move. I think these people should be put on some kind of RBUK blacklist until they up their game a little.

I have to say I agree that Dave's taken on too much work for what is effectively a 'one man show' across there and it's starting to crack.

But then there's no excuse is there? I love my Kona's paint job, it's brilliant, but due to the hassle and the mistakes in getting it sorted out despite clear instructions my future paint work is being taken elsewhere.

mechagouki":32btfev6 said:
This really all happened over a simple loose rivnut replacement? I've done those as 15 minute walk-ins before!

There is always a little metal left in the frame after removing a loose boss, but it can usually be shaken out of one end of the tube, spraying crap into the tube to secure it is not a smart move. I think these people should be put on some kind of RBUK blacklist until they up their game a little.
Sadly, just over a spinning riv nut. I guess it was slightly more complicated as it the bolts were stuck in due to the bosses spinning, but that's as complicated as it got.

The bit of metal rattling around sound large and heavy. I reckon they have literally ground the top of the bolt and boss down and punched the remainder of the boss and bolt into the frame, and to disguise this, filled the tube with something to stop it all rattling, but this would seem to have failed.

I'm at a loss as to what can be done to rectify this situation though, other than removing and replacing the down tube, which is not what I really want to have to do, but it that is what's needed, then I guess I'll need to pursue this as an option.

ishaw":2jjhhaab said:
I'm at a loss as to what can be done to rectify this situation though, other than removing and replacing the down tube, which is not what I really want to have to do, but it that is what's needed, then I guess I'll need to pursue this as an option.

you could try and squirt some silicone into the down tube, rattle those bits until they all stick together and then leave it to dry :cool:

bluedazzler":3a7vaeq3 said:
ishaw":3a7vaeq3 said:

you could try and squirt some silicone into the down tube, rattle those bits until they all stick together and then leave it to dry :cool:
I think that is what Coloutech have attempted to some degree judging by the slug trail of clear stuff that has oozed out of the drain hole. The main reason I was sold by my lbs on getting this done was that they said, after I expressed my concern about not wanting bits of stuff stuck in the frame was that they used a great frame repairer who would not let that happen, but look at where I am now. I think that judging by the weight of the bits of metal in there, I'd need to pretty much fill the down tube withexpanding foam to stop the bits rattling around, and it feels like there is already a large amount of something like that moving around in there.

Just a quick update. The bike shop have had the frame back from me, and I've no idea what's been said between them and Colourtech, but it's now been sent to enigma for them to take a look at. I'd been in touch with them prior to the bike shop getting in touch with them, so they have background information from me as well as the bike shop.

Fingers crossed something can be done!

My two Penneth

I've used Colourtech to paint a couple of frames for me, my 853 Explosif and my Ron Cooper road frame.

Both times they did a really decent job.

They have a living legend frame builder on the premises who makes sublime steel frames.

However, they are not known for working with Ti frames. For Ti frames I'd recommend Enigma. They refinished my Hei Hei recently and did a really good job. So much so that it looks new.

I would for now Ish..keep things quiet on the internet front until either the matter has been resolved fully one way or another

pound to a penny of horse shoit one of those companies are aware of this thread and if they are offering to try and resolve this and it looks like they might...then the last thing you want too do is pee em off

but once it's resolved then yes do provide updates

sylus":3kbdid3y said:
I would for now Ish..keep things quiet on the internet front until either the matter has been resolved fully one way or another

pound to a penny of horse shoit one of those companies are aware of this thread and if they are offering to try and resolve this and it looks like they might...then the last thing you want too do is pee em off

but once it's resolved then yes do provide updates

Yup, good advice, that. I've known people come a cropper at work (!!!) because of comments made on open forums. Wouldn't wish that on anyone here.

Good luck with it at any rate.

don't understand why you didn't do this yourself. :?:

it should be prettey straight forward job to grind the head of the bolt down - it needn't be ground fully off so no risk of grinding the tube - as long as it can be thin enough to deform when punching it through into the tube. :!:

as for rattling inside, grind open the bottom bracket tube vent hole so it is large enough for the debris to drop through - the large hole would not weaken the frame at all.

Back