Go to HELL ! 26 Feb 2012

Number 5 is Alive!!!!

This is the bike I am being loaned by Keith (8bike). He's just finished building it.

SS101046.jpg

As the frame is a nearly retro Moser (1997 ???), despite all the new bits he's put on it, I'm going to take the liberty of calling it a retro. Well, compared to all those modern carbon fibre bikes I'll be competing against, its retro enough!!

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that it’s been especially built for hills, with an XT MTB rear derailleur and cassette, 10 speed, with compact drop bars, FSA carbon cranks, Carbon forks and Crud-catcher light weight racing mudguards.

I might change the saddle to a TT Titanium Flite, or as Bobcatmax recommends, a black Charge Spoon as its certainly more comfortable then the TT!!

I'm planning my first ride, hopefully to test out some of the actual hills on the 3rd Dec. So anyone that fancies it let me know. Probably be in the morning and haven’t yet decided on which particular nasty ones to try.

As Green Rabbit noted, it will also be my first time on SPD’s, so I fully expect to go under a car or break my leg, which would be rather convenient, as I wouldn’t have to train for Hell! :)

More updates to come…

Saddle for Danno's HOA bike

I don't know why he wants to change the saddle. It's a Selle Italia Turbomatic with gel. These are the most confortable saddles ever made even without gel. I have them on all my bikes.

Re: Saddle for Danno's HOA bike

8bike":2qi6o8hf said:
I don't know why he wants to change the saddle. It's a Selle Italia Turbomatic with gel. These are the most confortable saddles ever made even without gel. I have them on all my bikes.

All depends on theshape of your ass and the ammount of natural padding.

Turbomatic saddle

OK I admit it. My natural padding is a bit more generous these days.

Just the same if you get a chance you should try one.

They come up on Ebay now and then.

But I also notice that Selle Italia have started making them again. They have reduced the weight and some of them still have leather coverings. I have seen them at anything from £50 up.

Wow, that looks like a great event.
Rabbit, please remind me early enough next year, ill be up for it 100%

Did the actual 50k Hell route yesterday. Needless to say it was tough, particularly Star Hill at the end, but I stayed in the saddle for all of it, despite a few occasions where I thought I'd have to stop!!!

Now, how on earth I'm going to be able to do the 100k route is beyond me...

The Red Moser is awesome. The wheels have such low resistance on the Mavic hubs it's unbelievable, and my first time with SPDs was a dream. I'm hooked!! All that power I've wasted in the past with toe clips....and no, i didn't even come close to falling off.

Some pics of me and 8bike half way round

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

It looks all meek and mild, but let me tell you, there are some evil hills lurking..look at the background of this picture for instance...

IMG_2502.jpg

Here is the infamous Star Hill.

starhill.jpg

Looks like a pussy cat from down here. I couldn't see what all the fuss was all about until I gave it a go. At the bottom I wished 8bike good luck and set off on my own painful, introspective journey through the pain barrier.

I didn't see him again for about 20 mins until he arrived at the top
IMG_2514.jpg

The Red Ferrari ticking itself cool at the top of Star Hill...

IMG_2504.jpg

Here's a link to route if anyone's interested. You can distinctly see the aggressive nature of the climbs if you look at the altitude section :shock:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=gfkkehqvcizgndsb

TGR, ready when you are for some long training rides, we'll need to be bloody fit.

Max, I have your shoes and pedals for you when you want them. Many thanks for the loan. Let me know when you get some time off for a ride

Back