So you want a Charlie Cunningham Indian #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's me on my 1998 GT LTS 2000. I enjoyed that bike very much (until the frame cracked) and they were most common. Location: Killington,VT

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Devilock":10ns5ihp said:
Well here's me on my 1998 GT LTS 2000. I enjoyed that bike very much (until the frame cracked) and they were most common.

Apples to apples buddy and we can't help your riding style or skills :D
I'm sure if you take your Cunny through stuff your LTS went through it would have wound up in similar condition? Enough said.

That's not the point. the GT was a mass produced generic bike. Dime a dozen. The Cunningham is a unique, historic groundbreaking bike. You still don't get it.

Devilock":e46leh9w said:
That's not the point. the GT was a mass produced generic bike. Dime a dozen. The Cunningham is a unique, historic groundbreaking bike. You still don't get it.

:facepalm: ....... you guys really don't get irony

Devilock":wgm0ulgo said:

Sure the GT was mass produced and from another era, but its YOU that doesn't get this, pull your head out of your butt... your broken GT was far more "fit for purpose" than the Cunningham if you cracked the GT you'd have folded the frame on that Cunningham ! (point one)

Just because its (relatively speaking) old or one of the 1st doesn't make it fantastic, just look the Good Old AMC Pacer, this broke new ground for spacious compact cars ... does everyone who owns a modern compact car have to worship at its alter.. of course not, its an evolutionary avenue that was well underway, in the case of MTB development it would have happened with or without one visionary guy like Mr Cunnnigham

It’s a butt ugly R&D piece thats been thrown together, (just look a road bike from the same era) and regarding those welds, just go to any WW2 tank museum and you'll see better welds on a Russian T34 that was put together in a hurry by unskilled workers, toiling away around the clock in terrible conditions, (admitidly they we're welding steel plate not aluminium).

this belongs in a museum, and as others have pointed out there's already plenty of museums with good examples indicates to me that everyone on here is getting a little too precious about something thats only special because its got a #1 on it.

As for 50% of us being mis guided, its just depends on your point of view,
if I turned up for an I.T class with a Commodore 64 rather than the latest offering from Dell but claimed it was brilliant just because it's only redeaming feature was the fact it was old and was a part of the evolutionary chain I think we'd end up with the same debate.

I hope this goes to a museum and stays there for us all to see our humble start, and as for the Pacer well lets just remember it in it's finest hour being mocked in Waynes World :LOL:

If Wayne and Garth modified the interior light of the AMC Pacer to dispense strawberry cable and added flames to the outside do you think the Cunningham would benefit for having a sexy pair of Rock Shox’s and some radical Troy Lee decals fitting.
Now this I suspect, really would upset everyone…. Even those who allegedly don’t get it like myself !

Now I'm sure someone will feel the need to reply but guys less of the profanity :oops: , you don't need such earthy language to underline your point(s) no matter how insenced you feel ! :evil:

Attachments

• amc-pacer-431x300.jpg
    amc-pacer-431x300.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,035
  • amc-pacer.jpg
    amc-pacer.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,997
Been an experience knowing you all but.......

I've just been advised to leave the country by these guys at http://www.pacerfarm.org/pacers.htm as they say the Pacer is a true American Icon of forward thinking and shouldn't be mocked on the Web by those who JUST DON'T GET IT !

Seriously just click on the link and find loads of muppets spend big bucks on the apple of their eye's, good on em I say (each to their own) there's enough room for all of us on this planet

Devilock":4309tf1o said:
I wanted one of these for years and finally had the opportunity to get one...

Those white tires are suh-uh-weet! Way to complement a classic bike.

It's too bad you look back on your GT ownership in a negative way, it seems like now you own a 'ham you feel that you are superior to the vast majority of us doomed to forever ride mass production bikes, and that's not really what mountain biking is all about.

mechagouki":16xu1xi3 said:
Devilock":16xu1xi3 said:
I wanted one of these for years and finally had the opportunity to get one...

Those white tires are suh-uh-weet! Way to complement a classic bike.

It's too bad you look back on your GT ownership in a negative way, it seems like now you own a 'ham you feel that you are superior to the vast majority of us doomed to forever ride mass production bikes, and that's not really what mountain biking is all about.

Hey I loved my GT, and I appreciate high performance mountain bikes from the 80's on up. It appeared that several lads here were bashing the CC who did not or could not appreciate it's importance, but meanwhile praising much more common bikes - which I can appreciate, I enjoy the common stoke shared here, sorry to bring anyone down. It's saturday. Going riding.

My collection consists of:

1983 Ritchey Commando
1984 Fat Chance Team Comp -My first mountain bike, recently repainted and restored with NOS parts.
1985 Cunningham
1986 Fat Chance Kicker
1986 Ibis #219
1989 American Comp Lite (because I couldn't afford the Cunningham at the time -Had Type 2 Fork and WTB Roller Cams, it was as close as I could get :)
1991 Kona Lava Dome
1996 Klein Pulse Comp (stripped/Kleiningham style)
1997 Kona Hei Hei
2000 Santa Cruz Superlight
2006 Santa Cruz Heckler
2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon

Wow, that is a nice collection! Didn't mean to come across to aggressive, I wrote that post before my morning coffee, sorry.

I'm going riding now too, on my plastic Gary Fisher clown bike - for shame!

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back