So you want a Charlie Cunningham Indian #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,
It's number one, but it's by no means the first
We have many (many) things to thank Mr. Cunningham for (as a Klein and 'Dale fan I should especially) but it doesn't have many of the features we're appreciating (low tt for example)
It's hideously put together (the year has nowt to do with this, I guess Mr. C was a designer more than a welder, which is fair enough), but it's still together so what's the complaint really?
Dr.S and LGF were verging on friendly somewhere back there, I swear I saw it!

So perhaps despite being #1 it perhaps isn't the best showcase of his work?

Definitely a piece of history, but then history has many pieces. I really like the Goodwood reference above, totally agree and would love to see this getting used and perhaps not treated with quite such awe, just appreciated as a step (perhaps also a giant leap) in our history and enjoyed as it was intended.

Know lots more about Cunninghams now, never liked them on face value as bikes :oops: but at least I appreciate the man and what he did a bit more now :D

Okay, my tuppeneth added, most enjoyable thread, thanks to all :)

Me and cheesy are both opinionated tw*ts at times and don't always agree on everything but he is still one of my all time favourite Retrobikers.

Feel the love big man.

Kiss kiss

Si

Dr S":2z7u61kc said:

Me and cheesy are both opinionated tw*ts at times and don't always agree on everything but he is still one of my all time favourite Retrobikers.

Feel the love big man.

Kiss kiss

Si

HA!

:LOL:

As many others here, I'm a big fan of Charlie Cunningham, and really appreciate his work and contributions he has made to MTBs.

However, as people have been mentioning Klein on this thread - as if these bikes came about because of CC - I think it worth mentioning that CC would probably be the first to acknowledge his own influence from Gary Klein and his pioneering use of aluminium in bike frames - and not the other way around...

Cheers,
BB

I think the off-road pioneer argument is pretty much endless, my step-father told me stories of he and his friends riding the hills around Nottingham in the 1950s. In the youtube video linked below of a 1950s CX race you can see a guy with flat bar bombing a hill that most of the drop bar riders dismount for, right around 36 seconds in. However it may ride, the Cunningham in question is important for the evolutionary step it represents, and Mr.Cunningham's contribution to the technological advancement of off-road cycling cannot be argued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_Fs1QtsOY

I wanted one of these for years and finally had the opportunity to get one. So glad I did. I ride it regularly. If you don't understand or cannot appreciate the history, beauty and significance of the Cunninghams, then move on to the GT, Bridgestone and Diamondback threads and enjoy a good wank.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Devilock":3te85zyf said:
I wanted one of these for years and finally had the opportunity to get one. So glad I did. I ride it regularly. If you don't understand or cannot appreciate the history, beauty and significance of the Cunninghams, then move on to the GT, Bridgestone and Diamondback threads and enjoy a good wank.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Let's not go getting all "wanky" now and just assume that all others can be dumped into one catagory. That's a bit low when you haven't ridden all that the rest have produced and just assume they are all low end bikes...you know what they say about assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back