Are these any good.

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
OK. I'm thinking about a skinny tyred single speed for commuting and general traffic buzzing duties.

This would be the first none mountain bike I'll have had since I was about 15 (1984 :oops: ) so It's fair to say I know nothing when it comes to this kind of ride.

I've been ruminating over one of these.....

A Charge Plug
charge_plug_hi.jpg

It looks good in a photo (to my untrained eye) , sounds tough enough for general traffic bashing and at £350 - £400 reasonable value.

Anyone got any thoughts, advice or alternative suggestions for around this price (Or less! :D )

Cheers.

charge

Yip, theyre great. Very stiff though and I would fit a freewheel if it comes with a fixed - you will find it very tricky to get on with (ouch!).
Not the most comfortable hack to start with but good luck.

Don't ride a fixed in traffic! You seemed a nice chap and you will come off. I have a fixed with drops and a single front brake. It is a nice feeling knowing that you are on THE most efficient mode of transportation man has yet devised. Right up to the point some numpty pulls their car (read ox-cart in deepest darkest Shropshire), out in front of you! Unless you have been fitted with hydraulic rams as knees you can't stop. Also after a lifetime of lifting the inside pedal to go round corners and round-a-bouts, you do it for the first time on a fixed and...hello Mr. Tarmac.

Wise words above at least start out with one that free wheels. They ain't called track bikes for nothing! Does anyone ride fixed with two brakes? What is that like? They get you fit though, I reckon a 10 mile ride is like doing around 20 on a geared bike!

Cheers for the info guys. I'd go single speed for the road not fixed. The Plug comes with a flip flop hub (see I'm learning the lingo!) so can be set up either way and would give me the chance to have a 'go' at fixed somewhere quiet and soft! As for building a bike up....... I'm not sure that Peugeot isn't too big. :? I'm 5'10" and usually ride a 17" MTB frame, so I'm guessing about 21" or 54cm for a road frame......does that sound about right?

I'd say the frame was about right. I'm 5'8" and ride 21 - 22" road frames and 16" MTB. 21" would probably be too small.
Once you try fixed you will never be the same (sound of demonic laughter)

I really like the Plug, it comes as a SS as standard not fixed, so would be a nice intro to the genre. I've had a good look over one in my LBS, and thought about getting one but decided to go the 'build it yourself' route instead. That photo doesn't do it justice BTW.

I knew I'd seen something like that before:
Nelson1.jpg
+P

Ok so it's not quite as clean but it is used almost every day, it's lighter, cost alot less and it's fab..............

That's a very tight rear end - it's not going to be comfortable. The one in your picture is a size too big for its rider.

Back