GT Zaskar 1997 (Latest pics pg /5/6 27/06/2012)

t-stoff

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well, not a original thread, I know, but apart from showing the progress of polishing and stuff i am in need of some advise

Im trying to keep the 97/98's style but its getting difficult in some areas.
I need a complete new rear wheel, and aheadset. Not to mention my judy wich is a little bit wrecked to say the least, im searching for judys or sid on ebay, but the postage to Portugal are generally too much to compensate the purchase. Stantion from the destroyed cartdrige are in terrible condition.. dont even know if it worths repair...
Should i buy a "new" modern wheel and hub ? And the headset ? At least in terms of stem i know its gotta be a kore;D

some photos of the progress and a test i made with my Shimano M440 (not that retro i know..)

The frame still needs a little bit of sandpaper and autosol : )
decals are already here from that guy on ebay that everybody mentions

Thanks in advance! ; )

Groundoggy":2zn8rw5w said:
Rebuilding a similar Zaskar myself.

The headset was originally a 1 1/8" threadless Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset DL-2. If you just need the bearings those are cheap and easy to find. Are the races of the current headset shot?

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

hello! i think my headset is still the original one, that you mentioned it. I dont know if it needs only the bearings, it has a substantial looseness (braking + pushing back and forth), if i understood your question.
in terms of judy, i've only disassemble stantions not the cartdrige, but i guess if you need a manual there are plenty websites provinding pdf of it, and replacements too. In my case i will away an answer from a friend who said it had some parts.. we'll see..

I've got a copy of the manual. The photos of the cartridge are poor. The best one I've seen is in this forum.

If you have all the parts for the headset tightening it up shouldn't be a big problem. Loosen the 2 bolts on the headset and then tighten up the top cap bolt (the little cover over the hole where the stem tightens onto the fork).

If you have all the parts and the races look OK inspect the bearings. If they are damaged or bent then replace them. Maybe replace them anyways since they are hella cheap on eBay. If you need a photo of the parts I can take a shot of mine. It's all disassembled at the moment.

I would replace with any new headset, but Im not a purist.

I have a 1997 zaskar as well (see sig) but the red ano version. Went single speed but now 8 speed M738 XT throughout. Maiden ride with it this weekend, and I cant wait.

Judys are prone to problems but are easy enough to pull apart. Beauty of zaskars are their flexibiity, so whatever you choose you know it will be a nice ride. I'm going to get some bombers on mine eventually as they are preiod correct and work better then anything else in my opinion.

Nice project t-stoff :cool:, they look great when polished up, can be hard work to keep looking nice though

coomber":i2j1pkk6 said:
Judys are prone to problems but are easy enough to pull apart. Beauty of zaskars are their flexibiity, so whatever you choose you know it will be a nice ride. I'm going to get some bombers on mine eventually as they are preiod correct and work better then anything else in my opinion.

Been using Bombers on my Zaskar for a while, had Z3 lights on it but recently changed to Z1's as i prefer spring/oil to air/oil, very easy forks to service and most still look brand new inside despite being over ten years old :cool:, not period correct on mine as it's a 94 frame but that does'nt bother me.

SAM_0311.jpg

heyyy thanks for all the nice replies : )
tomorrow i think ill try to finish it with P2500 sandpaper.. i have some pictures already, but ill wait for the autosol effect.
about the judy, i maybe aiming a little bit higher, my girlfriend just started riding, so pace will be low, i think my 30 % judy will be cool for riding with her.

t-stoff":nnchilp3 said:
heyyy thanks for all the nice replies : )
tomorrow i think ill try to finish it with P2500 sandpaper.. i have some pictures already, but ill wait for the autosol effect.
about the judy, i maybe aiming a little bit higher, my girlfriend just started riding, so pace will be low, i think my 30 % judy will be cool for riding with her.

Not if you want to properly dust her it won't. :twisted:

If you want to save a little cash on shipping to Portugal you can have the parts shipped to me in the US and I can send them to you in a single package. I assure you this is NOT an attempt to acquire free parts for my own build. Just trying to help a fellow '97 Zaskar rebuilder out. Send me a PM and I'll send my info on if you're interested.

...and instead of starting ANOTHER '97 Zaskar rebuild thread do you mind if I post my own rebuild photos here? Might be mutually beneficial and it's less clutter for the forum. I don't want to hijack your thread but it's sort of cool knowing someone in Portugal is doing a similar retro build.

yeah no worries!
feel free to post anything related to your/our rebuilds ;D
i've been doing similar things with some friends in the US military that i've worked with and that are stationed here in Portugal. if they are not around or went back already ill pm you for sure, thanks a lot!;D

Latest posts

Back