30 w.t fork oil

if you aint got £500 plus forks they dont wanna no total toss they wont touch manitou stance and a few other makes :evil: :evil: :evil: :x

oldschool":3kvsf808 said:
6ft and around 17st thing is dont no what springs in it it does seem a light one well pissed off my rock shox were a lot better as they had lock out :evil: :x

You and me are in the same boat, mate! I have stripped a set of Z3 forks and am going to use a 10wt oil rather than the factory 7.5wt. Not sure how much it will help, but the oil is ready to change.

Let me know how you get on with the 30wt, it will be interesting to hear.

You need to increase the spring rate and the damping to match. Heavier oil will just increase the damping which without the harder springs will slow the fork down, in particular the rebound. So what will happen is you will go off a small drop, the fork will compress, you will go over the bars, and then the fork will rebound (slowly). When I was young and naive I was told to do this with a set of hydracoil Judys, instead of spending lots of money on expensive springs. I put 15w in (I think the standard was 5w?) and to be honest it wasn't too bad to start with, but that because it was summer and I was riding on hot sunny days and the forks were painted black. However when the weather cooled it all started to go pete tong. Eventually after going over the bars 3 times on one ride I changed the forks to a set of Duke XCs. I later fitted the Judys to my SS and changed the oil to 7.5w and they were fine again; I'm lighter now so the springs are fine with the pre-loads wound right up. I dont know much about Manitous but if the standard oil is around the 5 to 10w then putting 30w in sounds like a bad idea to me, even more so at this time of year.

Sadly I think only firmer springs will help with your Stance forks.

30wt oil has the potential to blow the seals and it will take longer to get through the damper as they cycle increasing the pressure.

A firmer spring and some heavier damping oil and you'll be fine :)

Plenty of cheap springs here >>

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=621

I recently changed the oil and the springs in a 65mm travel set of Z2's.

The difference in ride was amazing - feels like a lot more than 65mm of travel now. Cost ..... minimal.

I found also running slightly heavier oil in my Reba forks (not damping just lubrication) made them feel a lot plusher than the std weight oil.

Back