WTD: Late 70's or early 80's groupset

bedraggled

Senior Retro Guru
I've finally got a Raleigh Ilkeston frameset in my size.
It's the Red/Black/Yellow colour scheme and dates from late 1977.
Originally it was sold as a frameset so the final build was down to personal choice, therefore I'm looking for a suitable groupset to match this frame.
I suppose the two main candidates are Campagnolo Record and Dura Ace but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm looking for a groupset (or donor bike) rather than individual components.
I want to create a 'Sunday best' build so I'm looking for something nice (rather than NOS bottom of the range or knackered top of the range).
Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited budget, if you have something suitable can you drop me a PM.

Thanks
Colin

Hi
I've got a pair of mark 1 (I think ) dura ace Calipers, and same mark 1 (I think) fluted dura ace chainset. The lh arm if the chainset isn't dura ace though, it's fluted and similar, but alas not DA, the threads for removal in same lh arm aren't good either. The DA driveside is spot on though. Ideally lh side needs slinging and find a better imposter or exact match.
Could do Calipers and driveside chainset for £40 posted (lh arm for free).
I've got odds and sods of campy too, pretty mint nuovo record rear mech, record front mech, from that period or a tad earlier. Some Campy Calipers from a tad later, prob late 80's. The record stuff is worth a few bob though, may be better finding full gruppo.
Let me know if interesting for you.

82 Suntour Superbe

Hi,

Would you consider Suntour Superbe? Lovely group. I have the following 1982 equipment in vgc with very little wear:

front & rear mechs (not levers -- had Campag on; can supply)
brake levers and calipers
stem (ca 100 long)
chainset drive side (funnily enough, also only have RHS with replacement LHS)
6 sp freewheel
bars (Sakae Road Champ, 42 wide, I think)

Recently sold the seatpin and BB to someone looking to complete their group, I'm afraid.

Not complete, but let me know if you are interested and I can give more details.

Nick

... and something to sit on

I also have a very nice 1979 Brooks Pro Select that would suit this frame (if you like that kind of thing).

Nick

I'm sneakily looking for a frame of that vintage too...... Congrats.

Just for info I raced in the mid / late 70's and it was really only the professional teams that used a single branded image most of the time. Like Holdsworth/Campagnolo or Dawes / Dura-Ace.

Most of us just bought what we liked the look of or the LBS had as a discount, the concept of a "Groupset" wasn't that fixed in someone's mind.

For example I liked the look of the Sakai Chainset (Nice anodising) so got one for my TT bike.....which had a campag seat pin, Kyokuto track pedals, and drilled weinman 500 brakes...... :)

Apart from that it's Campag Record really like Knetterman, Raas, Thaler and the rest LOL

Shaun

Thanks for the various offers, I've sent a couple of PM's asking for more details.
I'm still interested in other ideas/offers.
When I said I don't have an unlimited budget I understand that a good quality groupset in nice condition won't be available for pennies.
My comment was as a result of looking on e-Bay and seeing a seller asking 800 dollars for a NOS rear derailleur.

early 80's groupset

I've got a complete Shimano 600AX groupset (with 600AX seatpost and wheelset with 600AX hubs)

I may be looking at splitting my Capagnolo Nuovo Record equipped Dave Lloyd. I have the full groupset in excellent condition, all polished up looking smart.

It's all 1982 and was original on the bike.

Tom

Back