So you want a Charlie Cunningham Indian #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retro Spud":1s0zlmsj said:
Franks Ultimate was class, and in a different league altogether... now that dudes a genius !

How so?

Hint, to get it started: it was no more than any plain 17.5" Yeti Ultimate. One of thousands with a common paint scheme. What's genius about him or that bike in particular?

Aimeybrook

I think we're talking at slightly crossed purposes,

I agree FTW's is a very ordinary example of a Yeti Ultimate, heck you've got a far nicer version than the guy who build them.... but thats my point

The Ultimate is iconic and even today the bike turns heads for the right reasons, rather than this over priced circus bike that would turn heads for the wrong reasons

Retro Spud":3lovfq8i said:
you've got a nicer version than the guy who build them.... but thats my point

Arguable, but thanks. Not sure I see your point though. Ultimates are heavy and ride like shopping carts, but because they turn heads the designer should be heralded above others?

Retro Spud":3lovfq8i said:
The Ultimate is iconic and even today the bike turns heads for the right reasons, rather than this over priced circus bike that would turn heads for the wrong reasons

I'll bow out let the true Charlie Cunningham leg humpers defend this bike and this sale. As long as we're not comparing custom Cunninghams that took months to craft to production Yeti Ultimates I'm ok.

sure, it's currently not all that pretty (in the eyes of some). but when was it welded? 1983 or something?

and properly restored this #1 will start to look much more pleasing.. IE:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... alNumber=4

the #1 is not my specific cup of tea, but i can certainly appreciate the history and invention that the bike represents. all the mountain bikes we ride today have a lot to thank charlie, joe, gary and his bunch of mates for

merckx":2yn171xb said:
all the mountain bikes we ride today have a lot to thank charlie, joe, gary and his bunch of mates for

Charlie Joe Gary... That's an unusual name.

Not sure why my Mustang should be thanking him and his bunch of mates though...

BB

Trolls have taken over ...

This thing has NO VALUE if you just want to ride a bike. It's only value is as a prototype or museum piece or whatever. I never ride mine anymore. It hangs from the ceiling as a memento from the good old days. My ancient body prefers my full-suspension bike. Anyway, this thread is getting worn out. Pic related.

Attachments

• Worn_Brake.jpeg
    Worn_Brake.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,025
interesting.. sounds like late 1981 then...

Serial Numbers

Cunningham serial numbers exhibit general trends though there were odd-ball numbers sprinkled through Charlie's build history. A general outline of Charlie's periods follow:

Number Bikes

These first bikes are from late 1981 through 1983/4. Steve Cook convinced Charlie that people might want to buy the bikes that he had been making for himself, but Steve ended up with production number 2 while his brother ended up with number 1.

1, 2, 3, ...

This 1938 Citroen 2cv has some design similarities to the Cunningham though I would expect the bike to be the fastest.

Both look like a dogs dinner.

Neither build quality is good.

Both are boundary pushing lightweight structures made from aluminum (the 2cv also has some magnesium bits)

Both went on to be developed into highly successful / influential designs.

Surviving examples are worth big bucks.

The point is that whilst neither is much cop when compared to modern vehicles, both designs rewrote the rules on the use of lightweight metals in vehicle design.

Attachments

• 1938 2cv.jpg
    1938 2cv.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back