1998 Cannondale F500

Adamhellstrom

Dirt Disciple
Bought this for €50 today. It's a 1998 Cannondale F500. I already removed the stand, lock mount and the mudguard. Next step is to clean it thoroughly and start to replace worn out bits and pieces like brake pads, tyres, cables and maybe some of the drivetrain.
p4pb7436434.jpg

The guy who sold it had owned it since new, but apparently lost interest in it a few years ago and now finally decided to sell it.

Cleaned and inspected the bike some more today. Unfortunately the bike has been left outdoors for some years and the paint has suffered. The paint under the stand and lock mount is damaged, a little at the stand and a lot at the lock mount on the seat tube.

The Headshok rubber boot is also damaged, and the needle bearings in the fork are not as smooth as they should be, although the fork still moves as it should. I think that it can be saved if I take it apart, clean it really, really good and grease it up. Of course the rubber boot will be replaced.

I'm just starting to think about how I want to kit it. I have three obvious (to me) paths to chose between.

1. Restore it as it is, only replacing parts that are damaged or worn out.

2. Look through my boxes of old parts and pick out the best, including a White Industries/Araya rear wheel, XT/521 front wheel, XT gears and shifter, Syncros riser bar, Roox seatpost, andHS33 brakes (If I can live without them om my commuter bike. I love to do wheelies on my way to work, and the Maguras give me great control). Just need to buy new cranks as the ones fitted on the bike are absolute rubbish. It actually physically hurts my eyes to look at them, they're so ugly. Almost all the parts are from the late 90:s.

3. Take the complete XTR 950 group from my Klein Mantra and just sell the Mantra frame on it's own.

M950 would be cool! But don't kill the Mantra :(
A yellow shock boot would be awesome to! :D

Back