So you want a Charlie Cunningham Indian #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the guys moaning about welds. Ok they aren't pretty. But this bike has been made at begining of 80's or even earlier? Correct me if I'm wrong.

At that time Cannondale have sold bike accessories. There wasyn't such a thing like aluminium MTB bike, there wasyn't even well known technology.

Klein still had aluminium bikes in develop stage so it is probably one of first if not very first aluminium MTB with frame design not seen before.
Bloke who's attempt weld an aluminium bike in the shed at that time must been a genius or either crazy.

Given that background I think it is a truly revolutionary bike.

And in opposite to perfect welded Manitous battered but still uncracked :shock:

First time I saw an alu Cunningham, my reaction was based on the crappy welds..............HOWEVER,

Upon reflection, that is a bit like rejecting an old racing Bugatti 'cos the engine aint as good as my new Golf.

This is an iconic, pioneering machine. Guys that thought the unthinkable, and were brave,visionary,perverse enough to ride the results down big hills,

I'd give it shed room. Hell, I'd give it front room room.

And remember kids, they aint making any more of these.........suspect that if you hung onto it, might do a bit better than your average bank investment,,,,,, :cool:

Hey

What about all the luvvies put thier money together and buy it then take time share weeks with it :D

So having seen a Cunningham in person, Jaquie Phelans, I must admit that it seemed like a Cannondale that had been stripped.:) But, the thing is, Jaquie it still riding it as hard today as she was 25 years ago. That to me says something about the quality of these frames. To have the 1st ever built?
It is liking to have the 1st Bugatti or 1st Porsche. Not very pretty but way ahead of their time.
BTW, that's me on the right, her left. She really was much happier then she looks.:)
This was taken last weekend at the SSCXWC in San Francisco.

Attachments

• IMG_1858_1.JPG
    IMG_1858_1.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,844
  • jacquie.jpg
    jacquie.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,846
GearlessinSeattle":81qqckkk said:
...To have the 1st ever built?
It is liking to have the 1st Bugatti or 1st Porsche...

Realize that this isn't the first Cunningham built -- it's the first numbered CUSTOMER bike (and even then there are some interesting stories about the sequence). Charlie had built I think several bikes for himself before this one.

poor

legrandefromage":j7dist05 said:
If this had been built anywhere outside the US, I doubt if there would be as much interest.

that hits the nail on the head, so much hype about american builders,but no quality to back it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back