Gripshift SRT600 servicing

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
SRT600 gripshifts arrived this morning - looking a bit tired and cobwebby, but they seem to turn and am as ambitious and hopeful as ever. So - any advice on servicing? Never touched these BITD. I see bolts and screws so as soon as I get an hour tonight me, my toolbox and my trusty tin of GT85 will become aqcuainted with the inner workings but just looking for any advice on screws that I should /not/ undo for fear of lots of tiny springy bits poingy to inaccessible regions of the kitchen.

(Btw, if anyone has a set of nice condition gripshift grips (that go on the shifters themselves, I'd be really grateful. :) )

well, BITD i used jonnisnot to lube them, it is a grease that does not attack the plastics, and was the officially reccomended stuff. not sure if its still available, though google seems to suggest finish line and others produce the similar appropriate grease for gripshifters.

cables replacing is kind of straight forward, you undo the cover that is held on by a single phillips head screw, and slide the twisting lever off the main body. the cable once inserted into the retention and threaded out through the barrel, needs to have a loop introduced to it, and then set into the groove of the shifter. hard to explain in words.

mentally think of twisting the cable between your thumb and forefinger, so it loops over itself once. you then set it in the groove.

push the body back on the mounting, and put the cover plate back on and do the screw up.

pretty easy.

terrible shifters though.i loathed them with a passion, and went back to rapidfire quick smart :)

good luck!

These are the instructions that came with my 96 gripshift 600.
040320062779.jpg

040320062775.jpg

040320062777.jpg

040320062774.jpg

040320062776.jpg

040320062773.jpg

Wouldn't scan for some reason (or I couldn't work the scanner) so appologies if it's not clear.

Just to add I ove mine and still use them to this day (litterally I'm off out in 20 min or so).
I Seem to rememer lots of people using vaseline, not sure if it's a good idea or not though.

Used to have these for quite a few years on my bike. Never understood why so many people don't like them. Never had any trouble with mine. They always did the job under all circumstances. If one complaint, they have little grip where you twist in the wet.
My advise: Take them apart once a year and pack them with grease. Both hub grease or vasoline will do. And off you go.

I've always used vaseline with mine, and have no problems at all. I like them a lot - they always work, and make for 'clean' looking handlebars

Very useful thread - well done one and all - I'll move this to Bike FAQ section for future reference :D

Back