1989 RekTek - Canadian Content

I bought this set of beat up Bontrager forks off the Bay, disassembled them, reanodized all the aluminum bits and sent up to Vancouver along with the frame for Chris to repaint. I think they turned out very nice, and will complement the frame beautifully.

main.php

main.php

These are the MRC linear decelerator brakes that will be mounted on the Bontrager forks.

main.php

I love this old style Syncros post. It was the original post that came with the bike when I bought it. It's an odd size 27.0mm so finding a replacement is probably not going to be possible. It is looking every bit it's 20+ years of age. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to accept (... or even embrace) the patina or attempt some sort of restoration (strip and reanodize).

main.php

I stripped the Syncros post, and had it reanodized. There was a fair bit of pitting on the post which became a bit more pronounced after the sodium hydroxide bath. :cry: The black anodization dye hides it fairly well, but you can still see a bit of roughness in the lower regions of the post. Anyways, I'm very pleased with the result. I was surprised to see the yellow "0" stamped in the back of the post remained legible even after the entire treatment. Perhaps some sort of embedded paraffin treatment

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Next up is to get the stem, bar ends, and maybe the crank arms re-powdercoated. Probably no new updates until Dec.

Cheers.
:cool:

That's looking nice.

Is that stem 1" ?
I think the seatpost has come out nice. 27/0 is not all that uncommon (only in modern terms)
Rockies of that era used 27.0 and the majority of steel Kona's used 27.0 throughout the 90's
They are still manufactured by some brands today.

Whow

This is going to be stunning! One of the finest restorations ive seen on here and a definate break from the normal me too builds :cool:

Ill wait eagerally for the next installment.

Great work classen, it's going to be stunning.

I've not seen many other 1" syncros quill stems - here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 008a.JPG
    008a.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,367
supergoose":2sh11rzf said:
here's a pic of mine.
Wow that is in very nice condition. Does your stem have the original powder coat and decals? Is that glossy black or matte? I'm trying to decide which way to go with the new powder coat. The Syncros cranks and bar ends have a very lightly dimpled matte black coating, but the stem is high gloss. I am currently leaning towards getting stem, barends, and cranks done with the same matte black.

FluffyChicken":2sh11rzf said:
Is that stem 1" ?
Yes

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Back