1950s Claude Butler short wheelbase 531 racing tandem

hova

Retro Guru
Well, the time has come. Without a doubt, I'm going to regret this.

My genuine reason for sale (as many of you know, I never sell any of my bikes! :)) is that my wife is a weeeee bit too short to be comfortable on this (she's 5'3", and while she's actually plenty tall enough/long enough legs, she can only ride tandems as a stoker as she doesn't know how to ride a bike solo and thus feels a bit uncomfortable on the mount/dismount unless it's a mixte-style top-tube. Trust me, I've tried to teach her - it ain't happening! :LOL:).

I've therefore decided that this beautiful tandem should go to a captain/stoker that can get more mileage out of her. I don;t know the exact size off the top of my head, but considering it's a tandem, a captain of height 5'8" to 6'3" is fine, and stoker I would say would be fine from 5'3" to much, much taller.

My cherished 1950s Claude Butler Reynolds 531 tandem. This is a very very rare short wheelbase version; so short in fact that when riding this alone, the captain doesn't even realise that it's a tandem. The handling is so sharp, it genuinely doesn't have any of the squirrelly feel you get on most tandems (it's the tenth tandem I've owned - and the only one I told myself I would never ever sell :().

She is from the 50s I believe (as do some other expert friends), but she was probably restored and resprayed in the 80s in this beautiful, albeit loudish, blue and pink colour scheme. She's all handbuilt 531 with full lugwork, no rust, all bearings excellent, and all tuned up and tight everything. Has full TA tandem drivetrain, added benefit of canti brakes, double brakes on the rear (canti as well as dual-pivot) with the added benefit of an extra brake lever for the stoker for the dual pivot brake. Two turbo saddles (the one on front is the more rare earlier version with metal embellishment). Cinelli bars.

Two modern, ultra strong wheels - built onto Mavic Open Pro rims with ultra durable Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.

Truth be told, I wanted to keep this, in the hopes that my 14 month old daughter grows tall enough to ride with me but at the moment, it's a but unfair to the bike itself. The bike really needs to be ridden. You all know how I feel.

I'd like to sell her to someone here, where I'll know she'll be cherished and well loved. £800 posted in the UK takes her. :( Buy something that you can actually tell your wife/partner you bought for "her" ;)

Attachments

• Claude Butler tandem sm.JPG
    Claude Butler tandem sm.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,837
i have been in that shop where tandem pictured what a place , i could have just stood and looked for hours but my daughter dragged me to the sylvanian family shop down the road , sorry

biggs682":2cfyzslf said:
i have been in that shop where tandem pictured what a place , i could have just stood and looked for hours but my daughter dragged me to the sylvanian family shop down the road , sorry

Yeah, it's my friend's shop... what a place, isn't it?!

ohhhhhhhh..just the right bike at the wrong time! It's a beauty. I wont wish you good luck with the sale as you wont need it :LOL: I just retrieved an early 80's mixte Raleigh from the local 'tip' in the hope that our 5 year old daughter may one day want to ride it! Know how you feel...ish.

Karl

karl

you need that tandem sooooooooo much in your lire every father and daughter deserve one !!

hova

sorry to hijack your listing , but that shop is well worth a visit

Lovely!

I need to get my Jack Taylor finished...

All in pieces waiting to be put back together.

5206221885_5b3226bb23.jpg

Back