Helicopter Tape

jimplops

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone have a reasonable source for a roll of this, had some years ago that was 2" wide on a roll, but I refuse to pay the daft fleabay prices for a little bit disguised as a kit.

Cheers

poweredbypies":306mrjx8 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-TRANSPARENT-1M-X-61CM-SELF-ADHESIVE-VINYL-SHEET-/160598902378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256470c66a

Would this not do just aswell? search for clear viynl.
Thing is with a lot of that stuff is that it is not UV stable so it goes yellow after a little while in sunlight

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I got some 3M stuff off sidewinder that is excellent.

Can't remember what the number was though but it was 50mm wide and came in a big roll.

Might be worth giving him a shout?

I did use the 3M stuff for a while but, A. Its expensive, and B. It soon starts to look scruffy and can be a bitch to get off.
I now use something similar from my local agriculture store. Its twice the size (same roll lasted well over a year), is just as tough and is easily removed. Its under a tenner a roll too which means it can be removed and replaced at will without breaking the bank.
The first batch was slightly greenish so didn't look great on White bikes, but it didn't matter- it was removed after each ride before the bike went back in the mancave. I returned to the store last week and noticed they have new stock but much better quality without the green tint. Its perfect for the job, and again ideal to fit just for a ride, only to be removed once home.

Si

I might have missed the point here. I thought helicopter tape was the stuff you covered your frame's tubes in to prevent scratches but you're saying but you're saying you take it off after each ride?

I'm looking for something I can cover a relatively nice frame up with so people can't see what it is when I leave it on a station platform overnight. What do I need for that? Should I just got for vinyl tape? The frame's already quite badly beaten up.

Cheers, T..

russ77":2s582cd2 said:
I might have missed the point here. I thought helicopter tape was the stuff you covered your frame's tubes in to prevent scratches but you're saying but you're saying you take it off after each ride?

I'm looking for something I can cover a relatively nice frame up with so people can't see what it is when I leave it on a station platform overnight. What do I need for that? Should I just got for vinyl tape? The frame's already quite badly beaten up.

Cheers, T..
Before now, I've seen people use self-fusing (/amalgamating) tape on things like chainstays.

I suspect, every now and again, you'd be best removing it, to ensure nothing is festering underneath, though.

I don't like tape everywhere. It serves a purpose to stop my frame getting scratched and chipped in high wear areas whilst ridden. as soon as the ride is over the tape comes off- it's done it's job. Hence why I use the cheaper stuff.
No matter how well you apply it, there is always dirt getting underneath it. Dirt is bad.

Hi, Thread ressurection time- Sorry! It is winter so it's quite topical.. :roll:

I'm interested to know what others members POV's are on using the stuff too.
I've got a tatty UV faded frame on the way to the spray shop for a wet painting and when it comes back I'm tempted to 'stop the rot' before it starts by way of Helitaping it..

After some experimentation with various brands and suppliers, I have found this to be the best:

http://www.biketart.com/AdvancedSearch.aspx?Term=biketape

OK, Its not cheap but it's supple, goes around curves and sticks without crud sneaking in. The frame looks shiny and well finished if you cut, apply accurately and zap it with a hairdrier to make it tight- almost as if it doesn't have helitape applied.

I gather most use it to cover specific wear points from cables etc. I do this. But has anyone had a respray done and used it to protect their nice new minty paint job/decals..i.e Has anyone used it to fully protect the main tubes? Did it last? Did it knacker the decals? - assuming they were not under the lacquer - Is it worth the hassle in the long run?

Cheers

Back