Finally got the Klein Attitude back!

That price is outstanding. Two people have mentioned that it's a nice job for a respray. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly or not but it seems to imply that Klein painters were in a league of their own (and I could be misinterpreting this incorrectly). I would expect the respray to be every bit as nice as an original paint job.

I have two Attitudes with paint defects. One of which is noticeable if you see it in the correct light. The other while it doesn't glare at you from across the room, is visible in any light from a few feet away and is inexcusable. I don't consider Klein paint jobs to be anything out of the ordinary for a reasonably acccomplished painter.

Again, that 120 pound price is very good. I've looked into getting such a paint job and it was considerably more, even without decals.

'Guin

Im not sure if I agree with you there mate - of all the bikes I've ever owned and remember the boutique stuff Ive had pass through my hands (and also mass production stuff) the Kleins have by far had the best quality paintjobs I've ever seen.

The precision of the linear fades is outstanding - and to get them near identical (Ive had two moon rises next to each other) is pretty impressive. Ive had a Rascal gator linear fade, a sunburst linear fade, a Trekish Koi colours scheme (orange and gold fade) and as mentioned - two moon rises fades.

The stencilled decals - sprayed black or white to begin with and then painted over so you get an embossed effect - look absolutely fantastic and the paints durability is superb.

The only think I can say that is usually a pig with Kleins paint (especially early 90s ones) is that the fluo colours faded over time when exposed to years of sunlight :( - probably more due to the type of paint used at the time.

I'm not saying that the Klein painters weren't good, but they weren't perfect either. The smaller flaw in the paint observed was from a brand new bike and the second larger flaw was from a bike that hasn't faded a bit. These were out and and flaws, not fading over time. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of it. Problem is the bike is a place where I can't get good light, we'll try.

If you find a good painter, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find one that is every bit as skilled as one of Kleins. For the most part, their paint jobs aren't really that complex, with exceptions of course. But a fade, either front to back or linear really isn't that complex in the scheme of things. Take a look at the scrapbooks of some custom painters for an examples of some really complex work. OTOH, I've had some work done by a woman who had some great looking examples both in her scrapbooks and in her shop but the work she did for me really, truly sucked rocks, absolutely awful! Recently I saw a motorcycle with a $12,000 paint job, now that was amazing and amazingly complex.

The neon colors, by their nature, aren't as durable. A paint shop told me that they are dyes and not pigments. I've been involved in art and can say that inks that have dyes in them last a few years before looking so-so. Archival, pigmented inks are designed to last for 100 years. I'm not certain if the current neons aren't more durable than they were 17 years ago, but they still aren't as durable as most non-neons. I park my neon-colored fade bike in the shade when I can so as to preserve it as much as possible.

'guin

Back