14.5" Zaskar LE Build

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I know that every other build thread seems to be about a Zaskar or Zaskar LE, but I make no apologies for adding to them as the Zaskar is definitely one of, if not THE favourite HT frame of mine.

I've just bought a 1996 Zaskar LE frame from Wold Ranger. I actually contacted him regarding another frame which he recently had for sale (an Airborne). I just missed out on my chance of a bit of titanium loveliness, but he told me that he had a Zaskar frame for sale in the hard to get hold of 14.5" flavour (the perfect size for me), so naturally I bit his arm off... :LOL: :LOL:

As you can see from Wold Ranger's pictures in the post below, which I've shamelessly copied and pasted (hope you don't mind WR!), the frame looks to be in stunning condition with the only marks being a tiny bit of chainslap and a couple of cable rub marks. It's being collected today and should be with me either tomorrow or Monday, complete with KORE Elite seatpost.

The plan is to build it up gradually as I will be using future bike purchases/splits/sales to fund it (alongside using some of the money to pay my bills!). This is the only way that I can afford to give it the level of kit that I want to build it with.

Build will be as follows. Bits in red are bits I need, so if anyone reading this has anything, please let me know :):

Frame: 1996 Zaskar LE, Ball Burnished, 14.5"
Forks: Rockshox Judy DH w/titanium hardware, alloy steerer and speed springs (hopefully from Kingroon).
Stem: KORE/Syncros/Thomson, Black 80-100mm, 1 1/8" Ahead
Bars: Hyperlite / Syncros / Controltech / Azonic, Black
Seatpost: KORE Elite 27.0 x 400mm
Saddle: Flite, Black
Wheels: GT Hadley/Hope Hubs, Mavic D521/X517 rims

Tyres: Amberwalls - open to suggestions
Rear Mech: XTR M950 Med. Cage
Front Mech: XTR M950
Shifters/Levers: XTR M950
Chainset/BB: XTR M950
Brakes: XTR M950
Cassette: XTR M950/XT M737 8spd

As I said, progress won't be the fastest on this build as I'll be funding it from future bikes and bits purchased and sold. However I'm hoping to have it finished in time for Spring 2012. I'm really looking forward to working on it and I hope that you non-GT Haters out there like it :) :LOL:

BBB

Pictures of the build will be added to this post as it progresses:

First, the frame:

Zaskar010.jpg

Zaskar012.jpg

Zaskar011.jpg

Zaskar009.jpg

Zaskar008.jpg

Sweet! :cool: Small frames rule!! ;)

Like the decals, are they custom or did they come like that originally? I was actually thinking about something along those lines for a build of mine.

beepbeep":1drl8h1r said:
Sweet! :cool: Small frames rule!! ;)

Like the decals, are they custom or did they come like that originally? I was actually thinking about something along those lines for a build of mine.

Definitely with you on the small frames! Technically I should be riding a 16" Zaskar Frame, possibly even an 18" at a push, but the smaller frames suit my riding style better and just feel a lot more 'alive' than a larger one if that makes sense.

The decals are custom ones. I'm sure if you ask Wold Ranger he'll tell you where he had them done, although Gil_M would be a good bet as he's the master of all things decal-related!

Looks fantastic !!!!

I bought a 1996 Zaskar a few weeks ago and are doing exactly the same as you and need exactly the same parts in red :p :LOL: :oops:

You changing the decals to originals ? If you do let me know which ones are right for 1996 as I have seen the brocure for this model on here and its not super clear, just need to find an orginal set for the year.

I reckon these Zaskars will take a lot of elbow grease to keep shiny :roll:

I'm thinking there might be a little too much red if I've got Judy DHs going on it... Perhaps I'll keep the rest of it black/silver with a few blue bits here and there to set off the blue in the decals.. :)

Back