another purchase.. A Gazelle Champion Mondial

Bastos87

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bought this one today,

paint is still good except on the topbar it is in bad shape (has lots of rust spots.. see picture)

Would RX-5 and enamel paint be able to restore it?

(ill post pictures soon)

Looking forward to see it

Carpotec RX-5 with enamal from the model build shop is exactly what I use in chipped areas/areas with paint off. Sometimes I even go with RX-5 only if I want to preserve a patina and/or want to avoid a bike looking touched up. A spray silicone spray when I park away a bike for a longer period.

RX-5 is great stuff. Easy to work with. It is very liquid, it flows to everywhere within the chipped area and the result is a thin layer you won't notice. Normally I use pencils 00, but also 0, 1, 2 in case the spot is (very) large.

DONT USE SILICONE SPRAY!!! for 2 reasons 1, a paint shop wont let you bring it over its doorway it wrecks paint jobs 2, silicone spay can soften metal.

poweredbypies":3h44shkl said:
DONT USE SILICONE SPRAY!!! for 2 reasons 1, a paint shop wont let you bring it over its doorway it wrecks paint jobs 2, silicone spay can soften metal.

+1!

The stuff is evil - over time it creeps across any surface, including the floor of a paintshop!!! :shock:

poweredbypies":2kdwqhvv said:

Okay, a spray oven cleaner and I'll wipe it off than.

Seriously, you say explicitely "DONT USE". Can you please be more specific? Have you ever had bad experiences or did you read 'horror' stories somewhere?

Personally I only had good experiences so far. When I parked a bike away covered with it, it came always out the shed later in the exact same condition. The two frames I brought to the painter I used silicone and WD-40 spray on and I didn't hear him complain and the frames look very good now.

What metals does silicon spray soften??

I was told this by a gunsmith so it would be steel that it softens. Silicone is a nightmare in any paint shop if it's on the surface of the item about to be sprayed you end up with a hammerite look to the paint.

Edit having read up some more I maybe wrong about it softening metals, but Im dead right about paint not liking it tho.

6394202245_fd1305351b.jpg

6394201135_5e6c609423.jpg

6394203363_cdfaa4a09d.jpg

6394204505_7a7c66dbfe.jpg

6394205613_1e016a0a6a.jpg

It will be very hard to match the colour I guess,
what brand of enamel paint do you use?

it has a strange mix of components by the way,

Front mech = campagnolo,
rear mech = shimano 600

brakes (claws and levers) and headset are dura ace,

Is this the original set up?

Ill have to check the catolog of 1978 i guess...

Back