The user known as Barman1

highlandsflyer":vhvxktzm said:
There is NO way anyone is going to be 'banged up" for this.

The guilty party is going to be reading this, so perhaps they should weigh in and explain themselves and let it all resolve.

What are we talking about, £500 of gear?

Do we really want to be jailing people for £500?

Maybe jailing them for a couple nights in solitary confinment with the biggest most savage rapist in the prison system might teach them a lesson?

Most ISPs use dynamically assigned addresses

they're next to useless unless you can cross-reference them against the ISP's records.... which only a properly appointed authority can

HTH

cce":34r8dn2n said:

they're next to useless unless you can cross-reference them against the ISP's records.... which only a properly appointed authority can

HTH
Just because addresses may be assigned dynamically, doesn't mean there isn't any persistence - plus, I suspect for those persuing this, they are probably reporting it as a crime, and with sufficient interest by the police, IP addresses used at the time may be of use, and would almost certainly be traceable by ISPs.

Neil":1acs3w1m said:
cce":1acs3w1m said:

HTH
Just because addresses may be assigned dynamically, doesn't mean there isn't any persistence - plus, I suspect for those persuing this, they are probably reporting it as a crime, and with sufficient interest by the police, IP addresses used at the time may be of use, and would almost certainly be traceable by ISPs.

Yes, but there's little point in internet detectives trying to work out where he lives from them.

cce":27q0ilk7 said:
Neil":27q0ilk7 said:
cce":27q0ilk7 said:

HTH
Yes, but there's little point in internet detectives trying to work out where he lives from them.
I disagree - whilst some quite savvy people could obfuscate, most don't.

So IP address may well reveal coarse-grained location, and other information and types of searches may be more revealling.

I wouldn't be suprised if several people in this thread, have some real idea on name and address, or at least some quite tenable location info.

Posting name and details of person responsible for the IP address (/ ranges) is probably an irrelevance, and contamination the thread doesn't need, outside of that, though - many people - quite possibly the subject, here, may not be so informed as to realise how much info can be derived from scant details from, say, email headers, or originating IP addresses and other searches possible once you have a couple of details.

That info, present in this thread, may well be something of an incentive to the subject, in terms of resolving this - let's not forget that whilst being skeptical.

highlandsflyer":3q5131u3 said:

The guilty party is going to be reading this, so perhaps they should weigh in and explain themselves and let it all resolve.

Depends if it's just this though, by the sheer front exhibited by this person assuming the now locked for sale thread is them under is disguise they could have pulled this all over the place.

Carl.

no dan sorry nothing there bud, just a little note,.... if the police are envolved
then they will look at the paypal account and see where the money was transferred to. then nabber them that way. dont bother ip tracing it doesnt work. you'll probably end up at some gay bar.

Peace.

highlandsflyer":uhcgeeov said:

If my £500 then yes and a good beating

tintin40":3fakxrt2 said:
highlandsflyer":3fakxrt2 said:

If my £500 then yes and a good beating

you can steal £500 and not go to gaol?

In that case cut off their hands.

Back