80's Colnago Master before & after!

I keep coming back to look at this bike, I just can't get over that paint job, I will blame you if I end up buying a Colnago with my holiday fund. :LOL: Love it so so much.

I appreciate your positive comments guys! THANKS

Slight change to the brakes already - Have now fitted some Modolo gold anodised brake shoes. They look less clumsy than the rubber modern blocks.
Don't know much about Modolo either - can anyone tell me where made etc. Some quite nice components I am finding.

Attachments

• DSCN2288A.jpg
    DSCN2288A.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,216
Modolo is Italian, and according to this site they still exist, although apparently they don't make brakes any more.

http://www.modolo.com/history.html

They introduced a few weird innovations like 'sintered' brake pads that
are supposedly made of asbestos and contain metal particles that are
meant to improve stopping power.

They also developed the crazy looking Kronos 'speed regulator' (they didn't call them brakes for some reason).

In any case, I've got a couple of old sets of modolo and they seem well made enough and are quite aesthetically pleasing.

Nice work on the Colnago restoration. You ridden her much yet?

Johnny

Colhago Master - ride quality

Yeah Johnny

Ridden several times on club runs with much enjoyment.
There's nothing nicer than riding something you have put together yourself. Even the wheels laced and trued by myself (with the help of a bike buider friend).
I am finding the close ratio block (12 - 1:cool: too short on low gears especially with a 39 / 53 chainset. I cannot keep in touch on the climbs riding the bike.
It can also be too easily forgotten the 'old' style side pull calipers are ineffective compared to dual pivots we use nowadays.
To summarise, I wouldn't swap it, I enjoy the prestige of riding and owning it, the colour and finish is stunning.
Looking forward already to next Spring and some dry days to take it out - Even if I do get dropped on the climbs.

Looks nice but did the details on the frame get filled in again? If not, that's a real shame. It realy makes the difference between a repaint and a restoration IMO.

stevenc":3va204cc said:
Looks nice but did the details on the frame get filled in again? If not, that's a real shame. It realy makes the difference between a repaint and a restoration IMO.

I would say it's got new paint. Underneath it's the same frame, but in appearance it might as well be a different frame.

I don't want to spoil the party but why make the effort to apply new paint and decals then not fill in all the details? It's these details (apart from the build quality) that make these frames stand out. I think it's a poor job of whoever painted this not to do this, except when the customer explicitly asked not to of course.

Back