These 'ere new fangled disc brake thingummys

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Firstborn has just got a proper mountain bike (very tasty looking Diamondback) for his birthday and it is equipped with mechanical disc brakes (promax 320s). haven't got a clue about discs. I can fettle to a fairly good standard but not got a clue about discs (being an XTR V brake man myself).

Two questions - any good idiots' guides on the web? Pictures are good, videos good too.

Secondly just so I know - what do I need to search for on CRC/Wiggle etc when it is time for new brake pads? What aftermarket pads are recommended?

Ta in advance

I know the bike has many budget bits on it, frame and forks are halfway decent. Planning to replace broken/worn bits (when that happens)with upgrades. But it is brand new, and rather spanking for a first proper bike. I'd ride it off road & I'm used to riding an all singing all dancing pace RC200 with more bling than a gangsta rapper.

I would just like to know how to fettle mechanical discbrakes, and know what to but when it is pad replacement time.

(Then can't be all that shit as they have been specced on at least one Cannondale)

Radar":3rr5b94o said:
I know the bike has many budget bits on it, frame and forks are halfway decent. Planning to replace broken/worn bits (when that happens)with upgrades. But it is brand new, and rather spanking for a first proper bike. I'd ride it off road & I'm used to riding an all singing all dancing pace RC200 with more bling than a gangsta rapper.

I would just like to know how to fettle mechanical discbrakes, and know what to but when it is pad replacement time.

(Then can't be all that shit as they have been specced on at least one Cannondale)
adjustment is usually just tighten the cable to suit, the shimano type had a Allen key bolt on inside for adjustment too

as for new pads ebay seem to be the cheapest place

also check out CRC and superstar components

I adjust them like I adjust v-brakes, in reverse with the adjusters fully out and then back the pads off until I get the clearance / feel I desire. Remember with mech discs it's usually only the outer pads that actually moves with the cable, the inner is usually adjusted with a 5mm allen key... so pulling the cable tends to push the rotor towards the inner pad, therefore set the inner pad quite close to the rotor. I've fettled Promax disc brakes in the past, they were quite poor but maybe they've improved :?: The best type for me have adjusters on the cable stop but I fitted a Hayes MX-2 without one yesterday and got a nice feel and good power :D

Back