Real Ale Wobble 2011 Aftermath

Did it on Daj's first year, have attempted to do it twice since, the last being 2 years ago when we had the really high winds and rain, one of the cars in our convoy got separated and actually sank in a flash flood... the weekend ended as it was the car towing the box trailer with the bikes and the camping kit. 3 police cars, 2 fire engines and the local mountain rescue team later the occupants of the car were taken to a B& B in Brecon, the trailer and car towed out to a local farm yard for the night.

Without bikes the wobble was off for all of us, so the weekend turned into a random night out in Brecon instead. (where I got set upon by a drunken dwarf)

So since that weekend, weve not quite managed to pull the team together for a return....Sad because I love it and those pictures bring it all back... I miss the 27 different sorts of mud!

Got nothing to add to the ride thread, but totally agree with Jonny about the girl at the cafe in Afan! Up together :D

From start to Finish this year the Wobble was a cracker, This was my forth year but importantly my first year staying in the town previously we use to stay half hour up the road with a quick pint after being my only "social" experience

So me and the old girl arrive at a place called Victoria Wells half a mile from the town centre ...Cool we thought walk able and only being 4pm a good time if any to see if anyone was about. So leaving our Alpine lodge we set off ...Still couldnt quite grasp what felt different to normal ...It wasnt raining and it was super mild!!

Down in the town we went still pretty quiet but we knew granny grinder was about somewhere so we headed to the Stonecroft and we found him!! shooting Pool and reasonably merry and settled in there for a few ales and chat. The choice of Ale was unbelievable I guess around 40 various barrels from all over the uk to choose from and kind of forgetting the whole reason for being there was riding the next day ...We tucked right in!! :shock:

We departed from the Stonecroft and headed back up to our lodgings for tea and said our farewells to grannygrinder sadly we didnt know at the time that this would be the last we would be seeing him (in conscious form anyway :shock: )

More drinks up the bar on site (getting caught up in the moment now) and just being seated there mad tapping on the window.... Its Jonnyboy666 and Adam!! :cool:we have a nice slap up meal ...Good catch up chinwag then we head back down the town with Jon & Adam cleaning up after there days riding at Afan joining later.

This is wear things start to get a little blurry, we headed to the The Neuadd Arms where we bumped into Sheldon who has done various guiding for Retrobike over the years and his party (the knights of Niche ) and had waaaaaaay to much fun with more Ale :LOL: Now this was when we were greeted with quite an amazing site grannygrinder entered the pub in a kind of sleepwalking motion translated by the mrs "im off" and left :shock: :LOL: and that was it ...didnt see swayer again :cry:

Rest of the night was a hoot, Everyone had now gathered Orange71, Geoff ,James, Jonnyboy , Adam , mrsdaj and myself ...Got to be honest I dont remember much else I was pi@@ed as a coot :LOL:

Morning of the ride , I fell out of bed still quite drunk and jumped in the shower, Headed for breakie and met up with the wise ones. Jon and Adam looking fresh as a daisy ... I felt sh@t ... couldnt stomach food but forced some limp corn flakes down me. Even the hot euro waitresses couldnt raise my game I was in trouble!! :shock: . The mrs left us to walk down for the mass start and I took to getting ready , I realised things were not improving when I put my camelpak on before my jacket then once getting them the right way round I still needed to fill it up :cry: . Another overlooked fact of drinking lots of different ales ...they seem to poop back out in their individual units :LOL: . A quick look at the watch and it was 09:55 ..... It took few seconds to register ... HOLY SH@T it starts at 10:00!! I flew out the door with my steed (modern turd) with Jon & Adam we headed down to the start

-The Ride

when we arrived towards the town the mass start was already on its way , it was actually pretty cool watching it for a change :LOL: we then signed on and headed off ...Thankfully being a finely tuned athlete having a Ale issue played no part in me owning the seventeen miles of Welsh mountains :shock:

Actually that was a complete lie , I was rubbish and ill (shamefully) BUT its called the "Wobble" so Wobble I did alllllllllll the way round , actually keeping the sweeper man company for most of it after stopping to help a chap with a puncture (who later on just rode past us when we had geoffs puncture grrr)

Once the ride was over the boys jumped in the river and washed their bikes ... I was totally shot by then ...In a kind of trance thinking of my bed and cheeseburgers and they were just jumping around and paddling in the river ...I couldnt absorb it

I feel the footage Sheldon recorded sums up the ride in spirit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr9q8rYl ... ture=share

Saturday evening was again a joy with lots of Ale drunk ...By others I have to ad :LOL: I was on full sugar coke and having a couple of hours sleep that was rudely interrupted by the hooligans next door hammering on my bed wall :LOL: and of course egged on by the mrs "bundle him" the sight of Jon and adam launching at me will be a fond memory of wobble 2011.

I cant leave Saturday evening without the mention of the turnout of locals looking for their own wobble ride :shock: :LOL: VERY obvious and one of the biggest pair of plastic hooters I have ever seen!! :shock:

A great closure to the weekend was attending the hereford roast dinner on the sunday lunchtime by far the best pub roast I have had and having the very welcome company of Ededwards dropping through on his local 246 mile loop.

Brilliant weekend, Brilliant company leaving many fond memories

As Jonnyboy has already said the Wobble is overlooked by so many and its just a blinding weekend that ticks all the boxes.

Roll on 2012 !!!!

:cool:

wobbling wobble!?!

Well what can I say?

For me, this year the wobble was just that, a wobble! Lots of ale, Fab company...and I even managed a few druken rants about the injustice of teaching!

I do believe Mr Daj has FINALLY stopped whining about how rough he feels...he had today off- whilst i tackled 120 kids during the xmas play rehearsal!

All in all a FAB weekend, bugger all riding, lots of ale/food /random conversation. Will deffo be booking up early for next year (although I too will be booking the Monday off too!)

My only quibble...why do we not do this in August???? Lol :?

Ps. I'm glad the flapjack was enjoyed by all, apart from the ole man!! I will experiment with Rocky Road soon xx

Back