2011 Surly Pugsley Fat Bike

I've got a Salsa Mukluk on the way :)

Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm thinking of ordering some BFL's or shall I just wait and see what the endo\Larry's are like?

;) nice one.

the BFLs are huge and are getting great reviews, but the normal 3.8 and 3.7 are more than enough, especially when you see them in the flesh and then try them out in the real world.

hold off and enjoy this winter as it is, then notice how much fun and smiles you gain from the fat one!

im keeping my pugs as it is for now, larry front, endo rear, though im toying with sticking a nate on the front and larry rear and using the bike year round for everything.

time will tell, in the mean time, read up on all fat things on this forum....

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/

but make sure you post on RB too, theres a few of us fat lovers on here too :cool: ;)

slight update.

before the winter sets in, i wanted some sort of protection from the wet/rain/snow/slush whatever is on the ground basically.....as these 3.8 tyres throw up spray like an articulated lorry :LOL:

fat bikes are tough to get guards for, not many are over 100mm wide, so no point or purpose, i decided to get something with both.....racks with a flat top, for protection and usefull for my bag, and other items.

this is what most people go for.

rather than spend £110 per rack for surly ones, i have opted for £14.99 racks from edinburgh cycles, they go straight on, though you have to change a bolt or two for better fitment, and the legs go on the outside one side, then inside the other, due to the offset frame and forks.

they accept the 3.8 rubber with ease, and will protect me from the main spray and slush that ends up in the old bum crack
:LOL:

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

nice 25 mile loop of kielder reservoir yesterday, usually its a good few degress colder than anywhere else here, but despite the remote settings, it was still a pleasant 10c and foggy.....so not many pictures.

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

new ESI chunky grips going on, had 3 pair or so on various other bikes and really like these.

cheap to order from the USA too, the chunky ones are slightly thicker and fit the hand superb, much better than the ok but thin standard rubber grips.

also added my trusty speedzone sport computer, as the new one i bought from edinburgh cycles was rubbish and would randomly speed up when the bike was at a standstill!

note the low 288 current to date mileage.......still using it most days after work though, even for little 3-6 mile loops on a nightime to ease my legs.

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

i am very tempted by the black ops pug it looks :cool: , might have to let my stumpjumper go to make space :roll:

how do the tires hold up to punctures :?: i seem to get them all the time on my stumpie but they are very thin s -works tires and the saddle is like a razor :LOL:

stubbsy :D

Punctures are extremely rare, the tires and tubes are really heavy duty, they have to be for running down to lows of 3psi!

Read up on them, you'd be surprised ;)

you are a bad man,
i dont need much tempting :LOL: i have my perfect road bike in my cervelo but have never really fallen for my stumpjumper, i need something that can tow the kids trailer when needed, go offroad, maybee put some racks on to do some longer distance trips/camping. i think the stumpjumper is a fantastic bike but a bit to racey for me :roll: i am getting on a bit now :LOL:

i love the idea of having such a unique bike that can do everything i need

stubbsy :D

Back