Black Country Members

poweredbypies":178756np said:
Ehhhh?? still picking up the lingo from down here but trying hard not to pick up the accent :twisted:

R, lived in the Black Country most of my life and even I "cor understond arf on em".

Yep agree with not picking up the accent, probably one of the worst ones in the country and everyone outside the area assumes you're a Brummie. I can say this because I speak dead rough and both my parents are originally Brummies ;) .

Morning Chaps,

Do you have a nice loop over your way or popular stomping ground that you would like to show us all? We would like to expand our rides in 2012 to other areas of our region hopefully attracting new peeps! :cool:

Cheers

daj

My stomping grounds, back when I used to actually ride seven days a week as opposed to seven times a year, were the Clent Hills. Think they're National Trust run now and not sure what MTB rider's rights are like. Sure access won't be quite what it was back in the 90's but there are a good few bridleways around and a good variety of riding. Excellent scenery as well - views to the Black Mountains and the Malverns on a good day. (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/clenthills/)

Seem to remember that weeman was bought up next to Clent as well (hope he won't mind me mentioning that) and as he's been on some retrorides (unlike me, to date) he might have a better idea of their suitability. (And no Chris, I don't think we should start by going up from the Island to Nimmings. ;) )

Like Paul I used to virtually live "up Clent" but the only rides I've got out on lately have been organised retro ones. My only visit to Clent since the mid nineties was about four years ago with some workmates and I did come across one of my old trails that was closed off to cycling.

I think myself or Paul or maybe both of us need to do a reccy ride to see if there's enough there to occupy a group of riders for a few hours. This fellow posted up his solo ride around there about a year ago, might be worth looking into http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141774

Oh, and Paul, the ride from the island up to Nimmings carpark is all part of the warm up mate ;) .

Rewind...........the link for the route in that thread from Claret73 set my antivirus off bigtime, might be an idea to give it miss.

Sounds good chaps, Maybe a Reccy and take on one of the later dates in the calender? :D

Sounds like a plan (although my legs are already baulking at the thought of climbing up from the bypass to the four stones after all this time).

I suppose if you started at the bottom of the hills - could do the climb up past Ufmore wood (although that is country road), past St Kenelms Church, right up to Nimmings - pick up the bridleway aroudn the base of the hill and then disappear in to the pub at Adams hill. Drag yourself out of there then head up and over and slow work over to Walton... maybe... could still be in the pub at that point... thinking about it I'm not sure if MTBs are still banned from the Ufmore. Road round there years ago but they got a bit touchy about it years later. Like you say Chris, maybe do a reccy ride and then woop down the 'warm up hill' on the way back (assuming I'm not on a bike with Cantilevers - last time I tried that (about '95) I nearly rear ended a Metro because they wouldn't slow me down quick enough). :D

weeman_mtb":2ohsgm9h said:
This fellow posted up his solo ride around there about a year ago, might be worth looking into http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141774

Guys, I've rode this a couple of times & it's a mixed bag of Road (Lanes) & Bridleways. I'm sure you can use this along with the other routes up there to make a 3hr ride with a pub stop inbetween...Clent Hills are split left & right of a long road climb called St Kenelms Pass. Just needs a good recce. There are Bridleways around the Belbroughton area too which you can link via lanes.

I'm still not riding much due to the knee not being sorted. And am inbetween being a Mids Div & SW Div rider due to my not knowing what's round the corner work scenario...if I can visit the Sports Masseur to get the knee tweaked & get some steady road rides done, maybe we could set up a recce?...

Back