Ben Nevis circuit - 26th November - Brrrrrrr

mikee":33yrwx6t said:
The Ken":33yrwx6t said:
I can't decide whether to clean and grease the bike this week or not bother, keeping the sus on for their last ride of the year, might change the tyres for new ones with grips.

is there an organised rideout on auld years eve/night tk ?
Any interest in trying to organize a wee ride between Christmas/New Year? Macretro version of the Turkey Twizzler? Although maybe not Boxing Day.

velomaniac":1mklezbu said:
I thought this run took us around a scottish mountain not over it and thus hopefully it'll be not too bad......ish.
Oh well I'll pack the scrabble :)
Just rechecked the map - The first half of the route looks like a steady climb up the WHW to 300-350m by the time we hit Loch Eilde Mor. Then for those of us not swept away, the scramble up from the river of deepness will take us to between 600-650m.

Are we going anticlockwise then? I assume we are going the yellow route but using the green when available.

Click map below for big version:

I assumed anti-clockwise, I think that was the direction from Mr P's book excerpt? Plus you get the (hopefully) cracking descent after we houk our bikes up the hill after the river crossing. Not so sure that would work so well clockwise.

Dipping into Leanachan is definitely an option, although I'd think that might be a case of playing it by ear - see how we feel, how much daylight left, etc.

I shall of course defer to the man with the outstretched arm in all things navigational.

Feel free to laugh at my naivety but if the weather was bad on the day could we not make the route shorter by "simply" riding up glen nevis and out the the back to join the river near the top where the path is on the other side?

Possibly, although from the parking at the end of yellow road the trail isn't landrover track, is it? Could be much harder going?

Well I've just printed and laminated my map, what other supplies do we need?

Breakfast - Bacon? Rolls? or can the pub provide?
I'll have my usual overstock of food for packed lunch.
Tools - Pump, multi-tool with chaintool, 2 spare tubes, patches, pedal spanner/tyre levers - chainring spanner and that is it for me.
Spare clothes - Extra Fleece, Extra Shorts, Waterproof Troosers.

Back