Is 30lbs too heavy for a XC full Suss? Discuss..

If your like me and in the over 100kg club then that is a nice solid bike to be riding :LOL:
Was reading an old MTB mag the other day that made a good point. Basically if you want to make it lighter look at what parts you want to replace, look at how much weight those parts will save you and then look at the cost. eg. If you can get a part for $10 that's going to save you 100 grams, better then spending $100 and only saving 150grams.
Make sure you don't comprimise strength though!

It's a good bike! Sensibly sturdy, not too heavy, sounds like good value - and lighter than most hardtail XC bikes up to £600.

Ride and enjoy!

my giant anthem x 2 weights 24lbs but it cost a lot to get there but without going so overboard that things would be weak. Id look at some wheels and carbon bar and seat post and forks and maybe some lighter rotors that could knock it down to 25/26lbs but as it is its a solid take me anywhere and dont worry build

Sorry, but i think if your looking at XC then it may be a better idea to look at Spd's rather than losing weight from it, imo it would give you more for less money.

Wheels and forks are the obvious culprits there, but 30lb is both a perfectly usable weight and an entirely decent one for a budget FS build.

Is it just me or is the rear rotor bigger than the front one?

Could lose some weight there for a win win.

+1 for comments about SPDs and wheels. Rest is diminishing returns.

Otherwise good sensible kit.

Yeah they are both 180's

Think I'm going to get a fresh set of forks in the new year.

As people have said, it's a cheap bike so I won't worry too much

Thanks for all the input

The old 19" Jamis FS I use day to day is around 25/28 depending on what wheels/tyres I have on it. Air shock at the rear and reasonably light Pace Carbon at the front, as well as carbon bars and stem, Ti Flite on a light USE post, as well as XTR hubs with Mavic 717s add up to a bike I can take over the roughest stuff I ride, but throw in the back of the van without needing back surgery. I have a Deore chainset on it, if I really wanted to get it low I could change a few things and knock on the door of 23lbs.

I don't agree it need cost money to do this, just takes patience to win the right things on Ebay, etc.! :)

That changes the perspective a bit. If its an all-rounder of a bike, then not too much wrong with the weight. Though looking at your spec, if you did one to lose some weight, the wheels would definitely be the place to start. The tyres sound a bit heavy duty, and those rims aren't disc specific and look pretty heavily built. I'd think xm317 rims on xt hubs might be a good reasonable price option ....combined with some lighter tyres and tubes.

Back