screeching brakes.

montytri

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I'm new to mountain bikes and i've just bought a bike off here, really enjoying it.
The problem i have is the brakes screeching really loudly, it only happens once i've slowed down, i've cleaned the discs and checked the pads but it still does it.
Any suggestion or ideas whats causing it.

check all the rotor bolts and any calliper bolts. oh and make sure the qr is tight.

if still does it replace pads.

if it still does it it may just be that the combo of pad/disc/calliper/frame/forks just squeals.

Squealing can be the result of grease (no, really !)

Clean the discs with a degreaser and sand off the pads a bit. Then put everything back together and it should have stopped.
You'll need to break in the brakes again, but afterwards it'll usually be solved.
Oh, and don't ever touch the discs with your hands, as that's usually how the grease ends up there.

One very effective method of avoiding squeals on brakes that just won't stop making noise, is to file off the sides of the pads. A 45° angle should do the trick. I did that to the pads on my old MB-5, and it worked miracles on that.

brakes

Thanks lads, i didn't degrease the discs just wiped them clean, i'll clean the properly and replace the pads.

A trick I use on car brakes but not used it on my Whyte yet, is a small drop of copper grease on the back of the pad, that goes against the piston. Smear it on the back only, not the braking surface for obvious reasons.

On cars the squealing is due to vibration and I only assume its the same on a bike.
Chris

Latest posts

Back