1994 / 96 Parkpre Pro Elite Ti - Retro-modern Winter Hack

AFAIK there are 5 Pro Elites on this site now, and they are all very different indeed..... Which shows the versatility of the frame I guess.

I like what you've done with it.

Only thing is - why did you choose cable discs when ice and salt in the cables might be an issue (I know it is in Denmark)? Last Copenhagen bike shop I worked in (2007) had so many problems with cable discs in the winter.... Nowhere else I've worked since has had cable discs on bikes.

I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious as to the reasoning.

Good to know there are few Parkpre Elites knocking around!

Reasons for the Avid BB7:
- Never used hydraulic and I'm not fond of messing with oil etc.
- Good to keep the original cable guides; can always go back to V-brakes.
- I looked at many builds on sites in Alaska, especially Fat Bikes. They often use Avid BB7 for simplicity and reliability in low temperatures. I can well imagine if the temperatures floats +/- 0 zero with water in the cables there could be issues.
- I used them last winter on another build; no issues at all and I was happy with them; but then again where I ride it's not salted so much (PS: Sweden, Stockholm). Usually it's gravel or simply ploughed or packed snow or plain ice. Conditions are generally dry.

That's it. Time for these puppies now. An instant addition of 1 Kg of rotating weight.

Finland, I salute you, and one day I will ride over the Baltic to do it in person!

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,094
Thanks. Although I've had less use out of it than expected due to a very mild Autumn and late Winter (still got use out of a big ring bike!), I've found it's a great little performer and living up to expectations!

It's very well balanced giving the right traction front and rear, nothing twitchy but lively and responsive enough for a fun ride. So far happy with it and mechanically all is good even in mud drenched terrain.

I'm actually looking forward to some rides over Xmas and New Year on snow and ice. I pretty sure the Ti will help smooth out the ice ruts.

More pics will follow ;-)

Re: 1994 / 96 Parkpre Pro Elite Ti - Retro-modern Winter Hac

Woz":fmqsgpux said:
Finland, I salute you, and one day I will ride over the Baltic to do it in person!
You better hurry b4 it stops freezing over. Never know in these Brexit times...

Back