Raleigh Record Sprint

Dave_B

Dirt Disciple
I just picked up this Raleigh Record Sprint as an eBay purchase from a local seller. It had sat in a garage unused for years. It looks OK from a distance but it is fairly ropey up close. I think its from around 1991, or at least it looks very similar to one from a catalogue of that year.

25" (63cm) frame, Reynolds 501 main tubes and 18-23 high tensile rear triangle and forks. It fits me really well as I am 6'1". I have the seat 2-3" higher than the position in the photo.

I weighed the bike on a digital scales which I know to be pretty accurate and it came in at 11.7kg or 25.8 lbs which I didn't think was too bad (Raleigh quoted 11.2kg, probably for a small frame).

Despite looking like a bit of a munter it seems like a really nice ride. I haven't risked more that about 3 miles as the old tyres are completely shot - the tread is parting company with the carcass. I have some worn Specialized Mondo Pros that will do the job for now.

There are lots of black anodised parts (stem, bars, chainset, rims, seatpost, brake levers) which are scratched up so I will strip and polish them. I'm also going to strip the frame, regrease the hubs / BB and clean and lube the transmission and brakes. After that I'll decide if a frame respray and colour change is on the cards.

Raleigh 1 by davebswansea, on Flickr

Raleigh 3 by davebswansea, on Flickr

Raleigh 2 by davebswansea, on Flickr

Raleigh 4 by davebswansea, on Flickr

Raleigh 5 by davebswansea, on Flickr

these look great when they have all the gold bling on them .

they are not tyres they are the tyre warmers !!

Yes, I kept the speed down on the original rubber .... and avoided any downhills.

The earlier bikes with the gold trimmings looked a lot nicer. By the time mine was made I get the feeling that Raleigh was trying too hard to cut costs and quality had gone out of the window (on the low end models, at least). And there were two road bikes below this one in the range.

The derailleurs are basic Shimano and the downtube shifters are 'orrible black plastic - real classy! Typical Shimano though, as the gears shift very sweetly.

I picked up one of these from ebay as well for £50. Has now had a respray but was one of the better ones, with all the Gold bits and Shimano 105 bits throughout.

61139.jpg

Sitting pretty on
Reparto Corse DRX4000 700CX2-14H F/V ALLOY BLACK W/CNC SIDEWALL, W/O EYELET, SAT SYSTEM COLOR

Si

Nice to see another Record Sprint, I have exactly the same model, currently waiting for wheels crank perch and tape!

I know you are keen to spruce the bike up but it would be nice to keep the paint if it is not too bad, I am going to spruce mine up with a white saddle and bar tape to break up the blackness, nothing that can't be changed if I want to go original later on.

Interestingly, mine has suntour mech and shifters.

Looking forward to getting mine finished will pop up a picture when it's done, I had a Record Sprint in my youth and am keen to delude myself with the notion that the bike will be as good second time round!

Back