Hei Hei disguised as Explosif?

Excellent vid, Dr Dew is indeed very candid! Great to see the '99 KK pulled down from the rafters and the Ti P2's :shock: So cool they've still got that stuff.

Canada is definitely on my places to visit list :cool:

Anthony":f6b8k2gp said:
pipmeister":f6b8k2gp said:
I will indeed write to your chap at Kona, while expressing an interest in the history of the company.
Maybe best to say 'is this true, sounds a bit of a laugh?'. I'm not sure whether expressing earnest interest in Kona history is the best way to win them over. They're so laid back that I get the impression they view with suspicion anybody interested in anything other than beer or whether it's time to go home yet.

This is a good page http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... Page04.jpg
97 catalogue, so 96 pictures. What are the bikes? Only one of the riders is sponsored by Columbus, but some clown has got his head in the way of the bike. Dave Wiens is clearly riding a steel bike, with 96 decal and cable routing but in the colour of a 97 Explosif. Ian Cuthbertson appears to be on a 96 Kula, judging from the seat tube sticker, albeit I don't know what the head tube badge is all about. And why has he got cantis and those crazy narrow bars? No wonder he looks alarmed. Dario Cioni's bike resembles Wiens', similar colour to a 96 Kula, but that isn't an aluminium frame.

This supposedly team frame shown below may be what they're riding. Similar colour to 96 Kula and 97 Explosif, but definitely a Columbus Max frame, but no top tube sticker (like Wiens' bike).

No sign of any ti masquerading as steel anywhere here. But then again, what would we see if they hadn't chosen a picture with that ludicrous helmet with very few vents getting in the way? Hmmmm, the plot thickens :roll:

l don't know how l missed this thread the first time round but what a fascinating read. l have the '97 catalogue in front of me and the bike Dario Cioni of ltaly is riding says Sex Three on the top tube, not sure about the forks but again they look like puny travel and canti's, an odd choice for a race bike in'96.

ferrus":1zm69qf7 said:
Anthony":1zm69qf7 said:
This is a good page http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... Page04.jpg
97 catalogue, so 96 pictures. What are the bikes?... Ian Cuthbertson appears to be on a 96 Kula, judging from the seat tube sticker, albeit I don't know what the head tube badge is all about...l:
Head tube badge looks like a Schwinn!?

homegrownheadtube.jpg

Homegrown?

Interesting- didn't know Dario Cioni was an exmountain biker. fair proportion of the pro-peleton are ex-mountain bikers now.
The rebadging for sponsors is very very common in road racing.Chris Boardman rode Dolan built Cougars rebadged. I assumed this practice had stopped with more sculpted carbon frames,but it is still rife. Terry Dolan claimed on Eurosport commentary that there were 10 of his frames being ridden in the Vuelta that year.

Its interesting to note that they'd go to such lengths to hide a tube set within their range when the bike on page 5 http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catalogues/1997/97Page05.jpg isn't even a Kona.

I can't remember where its written but there is something from Kona at the time which talks about their inability to make lightweight race steel frames last the distance of a race without failing so I'm not surprised they paint something up to look like steel. Its the same thing Colnago did with their first C40 race bikes.

Back